BC Boards

New Puppy Drinks A Lot Of Water

xheliox

Greetings! My name is Jeff, and I'm new to the boards. Seems like you all have a nice community here. :rolleyes:

I recently got a 3 1/2 month old Border Collie. The first day we had him, I took him to the vet for an examination and a good flea bath, as he was covered in ticks. *ick* The vet checked him over and gave him a clean bill of health. And since, he's been thriving. 3 weeks later, his fur is now shiny and healthy, he's eating regularly, and quite clever. :D However, he seems to drink a lot of water. I have a 4 year old black lab mix and she probably only drinks half of her water throughout a day, where as my puppy drinks his entire bowl and then often goes to my other dogs bowl for more -- and their water bowls are exactly the same size. Are puppies just really thirsty or does my poor pup have a problem?

He's peeing on a regular cycle, and doesn't show any signs of illness. Though his stools have been loose, but I've been slowly switching his food, so I figured that was the reason for that -- and even that's been improving.

Am I just being paranoid? He goes back to the vet in 2 weeks for another round of shots, is it okay to wait or does he need to go ASAP? Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks all! A picture of Syd is attached.

post-7847-1188142797_thumb.jpg

Welcome! Syd is a cute puppy!

It's hard to say if Syd is drinking 'too much' water. How big are the water bowls? Could it be your lab doesn't drink enough? I feel we have that problem with Jake. (I give him ice cubes during the day to help keep him hydrated.) There are a lot of people on these boards that are a lot smarter than I am but as long as he's using the bathroom on a regular basis, I wouldn't worry about it. He just might like the taste of your water. Since he did have a lot of ticks on him though, you should ask them to do a complete blood work and have them check for tick borne diseases and diabetes. (Diabetes is highly improbable but better safe than sorry.)

My guess is that this is normal, though I agree that bloodwork is not a bad idea on a pup that you found covered with ticks. Puppies drink more than adults, though, especially in the summer. They have more difficulty regulating body temperature than adults, so maybe that's why.

Syd is a cutie!

Thanks for the replies!

I had considered that my lab wasn't drinking enough.. they're 8 cup bowls. I'll just keep an eye on him and wait to talk with the vet in two weeks. I'm surprised the vet didn't suggest blood work when I was there. I'll keep you all posted if anything negative comes about.. thanks again.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

My puppies ALWAYS drink a lot of water. My youngest, Tank, I had to routinely call off of the water bowl because he drank so much and he would have accidents while I was gone, etc. Now he's 7 months old and he can pretty much drink as much as he wants. I realized once I stopped making a big deal about it (calling him off of the bowl) he stopped drinking so much. Go figure. Any attention is good attention.