BC Boards

Ants!!!!!!!!

Guest LJS1993

Guest LJS1993

Is there any type of ant insecticide that is completely safe for usage around animals? I have a ag spray permit so I have some experience with insecticides. However, I am having difficulty finding something mild enough to use around our dogs. I'm hoping some of the ranchers on this forum would have some solutions.

Guest LJS1993
http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.p...mp;hl=fire+ants

There was alot of good advice on this thread. I'd start with the cayenne pepper, it might sting but no permanent harm and then the pups will stay away. Good luck!

Thanks WoobiesMom. I would actually utilize my idea, however I cannot find the ant hill. Furthermore these are tiny little ants, in many ways the most evil. I'm thinking of finding some moderately safe insecticide and merely spraying the perimeter of their pen. I also completely raked inside of the pen and removed these damn little berries which fall from our trees.

I use something called diatomaceous (sp?) earth. It is a naturally occurring element so is safe for pets and people, but it is like walking on glass for the ants. They either stay away from it or if they do walk on it it supposedly cuts through their exoskeletan and they die. We have had moderate success with it in our gardens. It does need to be reapplied if it rains, which hasn't been a problem for us this summer!! I think the only problem you might have with it is if the dogs were to inhale large amounts of it, that might not be good.

Guest LJS1993
I use something called diatomaceous (sp?) earth. It is a naturally occurring element so is safe for pets and people, but it is like walking on glass for the ants. They either stay away from it or if they do walk on it it supposedly cuts through their exoskeletan and they die. We have had moderate success with it in our gardens. It does need to be reapplied if it rains, which hasn't been a problem for us this summer!! I think the only problem you might have with it is if the dogs were to inhale large amounts of it, that might not be good.

It sounds like this could be the answer. I wonder if I can pick this up at Wal-Mart? Or possibly Lowes?

Guest LJS1993
Not sure about Wal-mart or Lowes - I'd look through the phone book and try a couple local garden centers. We also have a natural food store in our area that carries it.

My local True-Value says they have it. I will go look and see if it is food grade to make sure it is safe.