BC Boards

My young dog was trained to stop in a stand and I was told that she didn't like to stop and I found that to be true. I retrained her stop to a lie down and she stops now, but in talking to the wife of the man who trained her, she said that he trains all his dogs to stop in a stand because he wants them to stay on their feet and that lying down and getting up can scare the sheep. Any thoughts on this?

My young dog was trained to stop in a stand and I was told that she didn't like to stop and I found that to be true. I retrained her stop to a lie down and she stops now, but in talking to the wife of the man who trained her, she said that he trains all his dogs to stop in a stand because he wants them to stay on their feet and that lying down and getting up can scare the sheep. Any thoughts on this?

Hi Michelle,

I"m glad you were able to get answers to your question. I hope you don't mind if I respond anyway.

Some dogs like to lie down and some naturally want to stop on their feet. Some dogs upset their sheep no matter how they stop and some have a calming effect, again, no matter how they stop. When training, I like to begin with what comes naturally. If the dog prefers to stop on their feet, I'll tell them to stand. If a dog prefers to clap, I'll say lie down. I teach it by getting between the dog and the sheep and staying at the head of the dog(not let him have the sheep) until he stops on his own. If he lies down, I'll say lie down. If he stops on his feet, I'll say stand. I then immediatly let him go back to work. Getting the dog to stop becomes easier as he learns that the sooner he stops, the sooner he gets to go back to work. I do eventually teach both commands, but prefer to choose my battles. Having both commands on a dog really comes in handy at the pen and when shedding.