BC Boards

Foot Nipping

Hi All--

I am new to asking for help here but love to read your posts. I am fostering a male 1-2 year old BC for rescue. I have had him one week so far and have found him to be a great dog in almost every way. Very well behaved, gets along with my dogs, no food guarding, not distructive, etc. His one problem however is becoming huge. He nipped at my daughter 17 yr old, twice while being petted. I have looked for a tender spot and found nothing. We are making her not give out free pets anymore and making him do a command (ususally sit) before petting. I understand he is trying to find his way in the pack and we are hopefully dealing with that.

He also is displaying guarding behavior. Barking and nipping at guests. He has tried to bite two people who have come in before I could get to the door. Both times he was called off and he moved away. He then came up to be petted cautiously and then while being petted tried to bite their feet. I have no idea where this came from. So far all I have done is to tell him no and make sure he moves away, either sits by me or I put him outside.

He does not nip or show any dominance behaviours with me or my husband.

Any suggestions on how to handle this better. I really think he is a great dog and could be adoptable if we can figure out his nipping and stop it before it gets worse.

thanks so much

Is he neutered? If he nips someone and you call him to you and pet him, you are enforcing that behavior. You have rewarded him. Seperating him won't help your problem, it will just mask it. Try asking your guests not to look at him, not to pet him. He may just be a fearful dog that needs to build his confidence around strangers. Sometimes people mean well, but are seen to the dog as pushy. As for your daughter, I would be worried. First of all, 17y is an adult. If the dog nips at her hand when petted, it could just as easily be her face getting nipped, or another adult's face. Your daughter has probably unknowingly bowed down to the dog. I am sure when the dog nipped, she pulled her hand back and left the dog alone. Dog won, and gained rank. Do you ever watch Ceasar Millan? I know everyone is not a fan, but he really does do a great job addressing such issues. Maybe you could consult a professional trainer, or pick up Ceasar's book. He has lots of little exercises that may help.

BTW, thanks for being a foster parent! The world needs more of you!

Good luck, sorry I don't have better advice.

Thanks Erin-- He is neutered. Yes she did pull back. I will go to the book store this weekend to find some advice. What would the best thing for my daughter to have done?

Is he neutered? If he nips someone and you call him to you and pet him, you are enforcing that behavior. You have rewarded him. Seperating him won't help your problem, it will just mask it. Try asking your guests not to look at him, not to pet him. He may just be a fearful dog that needs to build his confidence around strangers. Sometimes people mean well, but are seen to the dog as pushy. As for your daughter, I would be worried. First of all, 17y is an adult. If the dog nips at her hand when petted, it could just as easily be her face getting nipped, or another adult's face. Your daughter has probably unknowingly bowed down to the dog. I am sure when the dog nipped, she pulled her hand back and left the dog alone. Dog won, and gained rank. Do you ever watch Ceasar Millan? I know everyone is not a fan, but he really does do a great job addressing such issues. Maybe you could consult a professional trainer, or pick up Ceasar's book. He has lots of little exercises that may help.

BTW, thanks for being a foster parent! The world needs more of you!

Good luck, sorry I don't have better advice.

Guest WoobiesMom

Try checking out the ShyK9s group on yahoo also. The nipping may be out of some perceived fear. My only experience was with Woobie wanting to play and that was ankle biting, so a different issue. Good luck and thank you for fostering!

Don't get me wrong, she of course should have pulled back! lol It is reflex of course, and thank God! When we brought our guy home he nipped at me when I reached for him. He was sitting on my husband's feet. He got the very loud "excuse me!?" and then was driven out of the room and not let back in until I invited him. He learned with one correction that trying to bite me wasn't a smart thing to do. We are very strict with ours being invited for almost EVERYTHING. Their freedom with no rules is playing ball. But they use their manners anyway. Hubby has a flat bed farm truck that we sit on for breaks. The dogs ALWAYS want up. Unless invited, they don't come up. Their food bowls are in the horse trailer, they wait outside while I fill them, then by name they come in. I always enter and leave first. Like getting in and out of the truck, or the house. When on leash, they never walk infront of me, I lead. (ie. going to dog school) Believe it or not, it really lets them know their place. Just little things like that. Nothing pushy. Pure respect. Can you maybe see some situations that you could use those examples on? Just keep everyone safe. Maybe you and your daughter could work together to find an exercise she could safely do.

Hope something I said helps a bit! I tend to ramble! lol

Thanks I will take any help I can get. I talked with her today about not letting the dog block her way while laying on the floor. I noticed she walked over him and she is comfortable enough to tell him no and make him leave her when he nipped her. So far they have had a three good days without any trouble. We had guests over tonight and I let him stay out at first and he behaved perfectly. I was so impressed. I had all guest totally ignore him and he was tired from chasing his ball my daughter was throwing. He ran around with the ball in his mouth but did not get upset at all. When it seemed that there were too many people, I crated him for the rest of the evening. I was so proud of him. sorry now I am rambling. :rolleyes: