BC Boards

OT: funny BC story

I've been meaning to tell this story for a couple of days, but haven't taken the time, the story about Zeeke got me writing it lol.

About 1 month ago we were still calving out a few cows. We had a snooty one, and needed to tag her calf. Apparently she does this every year for her owner. She'll attack you, run you over, snort and paw. Well we knew in advance that she was snooty, so we took our BC Hondo. He's been working cattle since 6 months old..his choice btw.

Well he set the run on this cow, so we could tag this calf. She started running, and then changed her mind and decided to take on the dog. Well Hondo was a low to the ground flying mass of fur. He was here and there and everywhere. We got so distracted we almost forgot to tag the darn calf lol. He ran her in a circle and then she began spinning. After about 10 spins in 1 direction, Hondo switched direction, and that dumb cow tried to switch too. She fell flat on her nose! Well poor Hondo, he loves his work. He looked at us and almost shrugged. It seemed like he was saying to us " Well now what do I do? She won't play any longer". lol we rolled as the calf was then released and he ran to now stunned momma.

2 days ago we again used Hondo. We had to round up the whole herd of cows and calves, and move them to the other pasture. Well Hondo as usual, had a ball. We got them out the first gate and into the area where it splits, so the cattle can go 3 diferent ways. All was going well until a snooty Black angus cow, decided she wanted the old pasture. Well hubby had asked me to stand there and keep them from going back in. I had a cattle prod with me, but no batteries in the darn thing. She began eying me up. She kept taking small steps towards me, finally I knew we were in a stand off. I ended up calling Hondo off the main herd, and having him put the run on this cow, before she ate me for supper.

Well in he darts, and at first she ignored him, so he went and nipped her heel. Well that did it, the fight was on. She started charging in my direction, only to remember it was the dog who nipped her heel. She turned, and tried for Hondo. This cow was less sure footed that the other snooty cow, and fell after about 2 spins. Hondo again looked at me. "Well mom, there goes another one, am I doing something wrong?" My husband by this time has the rest of the cattle in the pasture, and is watching this display. We love watching Hondo work. Finally the cow jumps back up, and slowly wandered away from me into the correct pasture. After that, there was no stopping the proud look on Hondo's face.

Dianne

I don't know much about cattle herding, I've only seen it on tv when they have the herding at the Calgary stampede but it sounds like Hondo is a natural! Sounds like the cow got rather dizzy!

That is so funny! Hondo has the cows number alright! I wish I could have seen that, but the image you made was good! It amazes me that they just "know" the correct thing to do! And Hondo sounds like he has this knowledge in spades!

Good job Hondo! Thanks for sharing Dianne!

Welove our dogs, and Hondo DEFINATELY knows what to do. When he was 3 months old he kept trying to herd our sheep( they are gone now) with no advice or learning. He just seemed to know what to do. We made him hold off though until he was about 6 months, and then began to train him. Well refine him, he already was trained from birth.

lol dizzy those cows definately got.

He's out right now with my husband moving more ccattle. Some people here call their dog a tool, but we call ours friends. Either way, they are one awesome breed.

Dianne