BC Boards

Do sheep get "hooks"

On their teeth like a horse does? Like sharp edges from age and grinding their food?? The reason I ask is, it is always a habit of mine to check my horses cheeks for tender spots caused by sharp edges and or hooks... I noticed one of my sheep has a tender cheek so I slid my thumb in and it sure feels like she has sharp edges and hooks????

Tara

You don't file sheep teeth, if that's what you mean. More likely your sheep ate something sharp, or possibly ran her face into something.

Ok that's what I was asking... Should I worry about it? she has always had a slight lump on that side, she is old (10) and I haven't had her that long. the lump I found today in my search of why her cheek is sore is a calus build up by that tooth..... she is eating fine, but is it something I should worry about?

Tara

Ok just so you know why I have old sheep, this is a fairly sheep deprived valley and all I could get were old girls who were on their way to slaughter or the girls who were useless for breeding and no one would sell me lambs so I got all the old cranky girls. One of them I shouldn't have bought, I knew she was on her deathy legs (13yr, she didn't produce any lamds this year) but I felt bad for her and panpered her until she passed about 2 weeks ago. So really that was a waste of 50 bucks but I felt bad for her and I hope she enjoyed her last while with us.. ( she got to avoid any hassle with the dog and got pampered) grouchy old thing... But I have a soft spot of old creatures so thats my down fall.......

Sometimes the older girls can be good stock for beginners. Not really culls who won't have lambs anymore or who have severe problems, but ewes who have aged out of bigger production flocks can give you a couple more good years and a good start on a flock of your own. I'd far rather that a seven/eight year old with a superior prodcution record, that is maybe going to need some better feed to keep condition, than a lamb that is a total unknown for four to five times as much cost. As a small flock owner, I can afford the small amount it will take to baby the older ewe versus growing my flock through buying in (though that's nice too).

It's hard to picture what you are saying, but there are lymph nodes along the face and downt eh neck that can get infections, plus there's an disease called caseous lymphadenitis where the sheep gets absesses. It might be good if you can at least have someone who knows a bit about sheep eyeball the ewe to make sure it's not the latter, as it is highly contagious. Or, failing that, it might be cheaper and safer to ship her off to slaughter so she doesn't endanger the rest of your hard-earned flock.

Good luck!