BC Boards

Dog Trainers

Guest LJS1993

Guest LJS1993

While dropping off FrecklesLaLaMom I came across a guy advertising himself as a dog trainer on his pickup. I stopped my car and had a short discussion with him about possibly giving us some lessons with Freckles. It was cool to see that in back he had four Border Collies, several of which he says have done some agility. After some discussion, all about Border Collies, the guy gave me his card and said to look him up for some training time. My question is how can you tell someone who knows what they are doing from someone who doesn't? I know looks are deceiving, but is experience the only way of judging a dog trainer/handler? His business card looked professional, but his website was down. What do you think?

Yea if I'm looking at a trainer, I want to see how they work with dogs in general, not just their own, so I try to sit in on a class before I sign up for anything. Asking about what methods the person uses is also very telling. See if anyone at the shelter knows him and if you really want to do some sleuthing check the better business bureau. Asking for recommendations is also a good way of finding out more about a potential trainer.

Guest WoobiesMom

I don't think I'd trust anyone who'd put their dog in the bed of a pickup, but that's me. A pet peeve.

If he's good, he should have references for people he has trained for/with.

I don't think I'd trust anyone who'd put their dog in the bed of a pickup, but that's me. A pet peeve.

Yeah, that's a good point. I kind of assumed they were in crates in the bed of the pickup, but if they were riding loose, I'm not sure I'd want anything to do with this 'trainer.'

Ask, if you have sheep, or access to sheep, if he can meet you with a couple of his dogs away from his home place, or better yet, some dog or dogs that he is training. Bring a friend that may have a bit more experience than you, (some one who judges would be great) and watch how the dogs respond to him, ( not to the sheep) remember, your evaluating him. References are great, but, some folks would just refer ya to a friend or two. Ask if he trains for ISDS style trials or farm work. Ask when the last trial he competed in was, and how he did. Not that it really matters, we all know that on any given day, it can be a crap shoot. Ask how long he has been training, and if he bought his dogs trained, or trained them himself. Name dropping sounds great, but thats all it is. Watch out for that. When looking for a good trainer, its always best to go to a proven one. And I say "one". Its difficult for trainers to work with you if you are turning to several other trainers with your dog. I have always trusted my gut when meeting folks, but some folks instincts are not so keen when it comes to reading people. Also, watch how your dog reacts to them. I always trust my dogs. Ask how long they have been training, and where they learned. Finding a "good trainer that you like and can agree with on training methods, can be a time consuming and a frustrating bussiness, but its worth the wait, drive, gas, time, and piece of mind when it all comes together. Good luck.