BC Boards

handling sheep in corners

I have a 3 year old BC who I have started training and he does pretty good at the trainers,

however, he doesn't respond as good at home. I have some sheep and started working him

but the sheep are smarter than he is. My question is, How do I keep the sheep from wanting to go to the corners of the pen when I am practicing by myself? Your help is greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

I have a 3 year old BC who I have started training and he does pretty good at the trainers,

however, he doesn't respond as good at home. I have some sheep and started working him

but the sheep are smarter than he is. My question is, How do I keep the sheep from wanting to go to the corners of the pen when I am practicing by myself? Your help is greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

No offence intended, but are you sure it's the dog and not you who is being outsmarted by the sheep? Timing is everything when training. I'm betting that you are pretty new at this and can't possibly have the experience to be trying to train on your own. My suggestion to you is to take as many lessons as possible and don't work him at home until you and he both have a bit more experience with guidance. If getting more lessons is impossible, let me know and I'll try to help you through your problem.

Jeanne

No offence intended, but are you sure it's the dog and not you who is being outsmarted by the sheep? Timing is everything when training. I'm betting that you are pretty new at this and can't possibly have the experience to be trying to train on your own. My suggestion to you is to take as many lessons as possible and don't work him at home until you and he both have a bit more experience with guidance. If getting more lessons is impossible, let me know and I'll try to help you through your problem.

Jeanne

Thank you for the advice.