BC Boards

My Muscovy Ducks or

KrisK

Well, I've had the ducks since Saturday and so far, it's been fun! I had an escapee - with DH's assistance we finally got her to the pen/duckhouse and so far, they seem content.

Now, I'm not sure why - but DH says HE gets to name them! So, here they are: Sudbury (the drake); Newbury (she's the one with the black spot on her head) and last but not least Duxbury, Can you tell where DH was born???? :rolleyes:

Right now, I have sand on the floor of the duckhouse. I'm waiting for the hay to be baled so I can put some down for them. They seem happy foraging and love lettuce! They are settling in but still a little skittish around me. Fortunately, I have the entire week off, so I can get a nice routine started with them.

post-3503-1183384855_thumb.jpg

post-3503-1183385225_thumb.jpg

post-3503-1183385296_thumb.jpg

Awww, congrats on the new additions, and I see you're already getting a bonus in addition to the insect eating capabilities--an egg! If they start coming to you when called by their individual names, then you know your hubby has gone too far! Enjoy them and keep us updated on how the settling in goes.

J.

I'm happy to say, I'm up to 4 eggs already :rolleyes: Late this morning, I decided to give them a chance to free range. They are doing REALLY well! They haven't gone too far from the duckhouse and I'm keeping the water right by the door so when it's time to round them up for the night, I'm hoping it won't be too hard. I don't plan on using the dogs with them for a while until they are used to the place. I know Muscovies aren't much of a 'herding' duck but that's okay by me. They are nice and quiet :D

Kris

I know someone looking to rehome about 15 of these critters. Are you interested?

Julie

I'm happy to say, I'm up to 4 eggs already :rolleyes: Late this morning, I decided to give them a chance to free range. They are doing REALLY well! They haven't gone too far from the duckhouse and I'm keeping the water right by the door so when it's time to round them up for the night, I'm hoping it won't be too hard. I don't plan on using the dogs with them for a while until they are used to the place. I know Muscovies are much of a 'herding' duck but that's okay by me. They are nice and quiet :D

Oh, good, another duck convert! I love mine- am considering sending all the hens to the freezer & having two duck pens. But I like my rooster too much...

I have a Khaki Campbell duck who has laid an egg a day since April 11. Hasn't missed one single day! The runners don't lay quite so well.

Have you broken an egg open yet? The yolks are HUGE! Careful you don't overcook the eggs- the whites are quite thick & turn to rubber if overcooked... gak.

The neighbour's muscovy tried to herd the dogs... he's since disappeared, so either a coon got him, or he's in the freezer...

We tried our first eggs today. I made an omelette with onions & cheese. I added about twice the amount of water that I would normally use with chicken eggs. The vote is in - duck eggs are mighty fine as an omelette! :rolleyes: I also used some in the cake I made this morning.

I'm having great fun watching the ducks. Last night, while my two little dogs were having a rousing game of chase, the ducks all lined up on the other side of the fence to watch - You would have thought they were watching NASCAR :D

My dogs have mostly adjusted to seeing the ducks wandering around so they aren't always barking their fool heads off! And I think these ducks will herd - at least they do for me :D

It wouldn't take much to convince me to have more of these ducks :D

Ah, I just had a thought. If you ever take anything made with duck eggs to a potluck, etc, warn people! A friend of mine gets rapidly, violently ill if he eats anything with duck eggs in it. Some people are allergic to a protein in them that is different than chicken eggs. Of course, the reverse is also true sometimes.