BC Boards

Teaching "Touch" Question

Hailey's got touch down, sort of. So far, she follows my hand....so long as it is no further than 12" away. If I'm using string cheese (opposite hand, held behind my back out of sight), she touches. If not, she licks. I've noticed of late that I get touches--or licks as I can't see them-- on the back of my legs, or on my arms....from both dogs--voluntarily. We even have a new "presto tongue" trick: touch Hailey's nose (with no cheese around) and out comes her tongue. Really.

I'm going to start using a clicker. What else can you recommend? Both dogs seem to be stuck on the short distance. I've been using simple "touch" and "touch leash" (using a leash in my hand). Neither dog will touch the item if it is, say, on the ground sans my hand, or if I'm holding it more than 12" away.....

We've been working on this over the past couple of weeks. with several short but repetitive stints. Thanks for your advice.

If this is to shape a "touch" for agility, then this article is awesome: Shaep Your Target Cue If not, I think you can still shape it using suggestions from the article.

I'm not a clicker trainer, but I trained a nose touch with my little border collie using the above article and did more luring/placing than shaping, and it worked just fine. We did have to modify the nose touch to a paw touch as she would slam her nose on the target and it looked painful. That may be just Wick though - she's a little over the top. :rolleyes:

The premise is that you reward even a bit of interest in the target, even just a glance. Then you gradually up the criteria from a glance to, say, purposeful movement towards the target, until eventually the dog offers the end behaviour you want. Break it down into small chunks and be sure your dog understands the behaviour (say, a nose tap to the hand) before you try to extend it to touching another object. I'm sure a clicker trainer would be able to explain it better than me.

If this is to shape a "touch" for agility, then this article is awesome: Shaep Your Target Cue If not, I think you can still shape it using suggestions from the article.

I'm not a clicker trainer, but I trained a nose touch with my little border collie using the above article and did more luring/placing than shaping, and it worked just fine. We did have to modify the nose touch to a paw touch as she would slam her nose on the target and it looked painful. That may be just Wick though - she's a little over the top. :rolleyes:

The premise is that you reward even a bit of interest in the target, even just a glance. Then you gradually up the criteria from a glance to, say, purposeful movement towards the target, until eventually the dog offers the end behaviour you want. Break it down into small chunks and be sure your dog understands the behaviour (say, a nose tap to the hand) before you try to extend it to touching another object. I'm sure a clicker trainer would be able to explain it better than me.

Thanks..this article is helpful. Actually, she does a very clear and big nod and/or move in the direction and *nearly* taps it at longer distances. Sometimes, she will nod twice if the reward isn't coming fast enough. I think i "get" the incremental shaping process....I'll give it a try.

That article is pretty much the way I go too - except that I'm impatient, so I lure. :rolleyes: I use something like an ice-cream container lid - something very obvious - as the target - later I go to clear plastic, and cut it down. I start by putting the treat on the target, and start the dog from pretty close. I click as the dog gets to the target to take the treat. Couple of times with the treat in place, then when you can see the penny has dropped and the dog gets it, you do the same distance, but without the treat on the target. Click as the dog gets to target, and rush up and reward.

Oops - forgot to say - make sure your dog understands the click=treat principle first.

As you get further away from the target, it may help if you have a helper who can get there with the reward quicker than you. Not essential - just saves time.

As you're increasing distance, move the target around, so you're sure you're getting "go to target" rather than some superstitious learning about the actual place the target is.

I like this for agility (independent contacts) but it's also good for obedience - send-aways.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, Barb!

Bottom line: we have success at a short distance now....about 2 or 3 feet. It's coming together in my mind now so I think we're on the on the right path.

I tried it last night with a clear plastic lid (cut down in size) and Hailey was more responsive than she was with just my hand. I also worked in the clicker. Perhaps it was too loud in that particular spot in the hallway--'cause at first she backed away a good five feet, downed and just looked (ears up). We worked a little at it and in the end she backed away a few steps, downed and would just look. I used the clicker about 2 years ago with some tennis ball games, and at that time, she connected with it. We'll take it outside and see.....