BC Boards

Explosive rear end!

This morning Ceana had a (well timed, it was outside) explosive rear end. We gave her some rice topped with creamy chicken soup and a boiled egg yesterday to hold her over and then started her on Blue Buffalo adult food last night. ( No more puppy kibble.) She only ate about a half serving of the Blue Buffalo.... but I am not sure which cause the (as so elequently described phenomenon of a previous post) poopsplosion. :rolleyes: Any ideas on which could be the more likely culperate? We are going out of town for the weekend and one of the girls I work with is going to stay over and puupy sit the little monster. Last thing I want to do is leave a co-worker with poopsplosive tendancies :D

Take her off all food for 24 hours and then put her on rice with either ground beef (browned) or cooked chicken/chicken soup. I'd stay away from creamed products as they contain milk, which isn't easily digested. Also canned pumpkin (plain, no pie spices) can help firm her up.

As to why she's got this problem, could she have eaten something that didn't agree with her? Did you recently change her food (sudden change)? When's the last time she was dewormed? If it persists, I would take a stool sample to the vet for a worm check. Also, has she recently played in or drank pond/stream water? If so, she could've picked up giardia, which will cause diarrhea. The vet may or may not be able to pick that up on a fecal analysis.

Anyway, I'd give her a day to let her tummy settle, then a day or two on something mild before putting her back on kibble, unless she's got other symptoms that you think might merit a trip to the vet.

J.

Ok, so she was on puppy food... then next meal she got the rice/creamy chicken soup/egg mixture... then next meal was started on the blue buffalo? I'm going to guess that the fast switches were more than her tummy could handle, thus the poopsplosion. I'd do what Julie recommends as far as getting her back on track - particularly the tummy rest part. :rolleyes: You'll want to overcook the rice to a rather sticky/mooshy consistency. A few of my dogs can handle cold turkey switches, but most of them cannot. Eh, lesson learned. If I'm not reading this correctly, with regards to switching, and she'd not had anything different I'd keep an eye out for a few days. If she acts off I'd consider a call to the vet.

ok, new question... we just had poopsplosion part two.... but she warned us and we got her out on the back porch before it happened, what a good little girl. It was a little bit , so I am sure she will be ok tomorrow. We will get her a bunch of ice cubes and water (her favorite) to keep her hydrated tonight. Here's my question. Our porch is a second floor cement balcony, we do not have a hose.... if i soak down the porch and spray cleaner on the area will it evaporate the mess? Or will I have stinky pavement?

Our porch is a second floor cement balcony, we do not have a hose.... if i soak down the porch and spray cleaner on the area will it evaporate the mess? Or will I have stinky pavement?

I'd probably spray with an enzymatic cleaner (such as Nature's Miracle) and let that evaporate. For just one incident that should be sufficient I'd think.