BC Boards

Day Two: First accident

Sifreynir

Only day two so I appreciate the wee boy is settling in to his new home, but we had our first accident this morning and he is very loose :rolleyes:

I noticed it from the moment we got him home and he was almost 'squirting' when he pooed last night bless him. The breeder said she wormed him last week but she been feeding him on Beta puppy which has the dreded 'animal derivitives' in the ingredients list and a protein level of 29%.

The burns puppy food has arrived this morning and I just gave him a bowl full of that, he ate it no problem. I would have introduced it gradully but I want that other stuff out of his system, considering the effect the other stuff is having on him...do you think this is okay or should I do the slow introduction.

My feelin just now is that I need to get the other food out of his system as quickly as possible. A friend mentioned giving him some scrambled egg to help firm him up?

He is going to the vets tonight for his first jags so I going to mention this to the vet, just wanted folks opinion on this.

Do you know what else he's had to eat apart from Beta?

I think its not a bad idea to introduce young pups to a few foods so they don't grow up to be too fussy eaters. Dale had no problems when we got him but I know the vet was actually surprised. He said it was very common when they moved home and nothing to worry about.

Egg and rice shouldn't do him any harm but I'd change food gradually. The loose stools may be a reaction to the move as much as a reaction to the food. Just as well you're seeing the vet. Its always reassuring.

Have you thought about feeding raw? I've heard so many different opinions that I've decided to stay wth James Wellbeloved for now but I'm still thinking :rolleyes:

I am thinking about raw, but for the time being until things are a bit more settled (and I learn more about it) I am feeding him the burns. We feed the cats on burns too and I heard so many good things about it (as well as seeing how good it was for my last BC).

He hasn't eaten anything other than mum's milk and the beta puppy. He may of course found a few tasty morsels in the field he was brought up in, but what they were and if anyone noticed is anyones guess.

You mentioned that he was sick in the car as well on the way home. It is probably the stress of the move that is giving him tummy problems. Molly was pretty bad too when she first got home. It had been a long drive and she was scared and car sick and would only pee on our potty stops on the way home. If I'd be trapped in a small noisy vehicle with people I didn't know and no idea what was going on, I'd get an upset stomach too from the stress.

I don't know whether a slow or quick food switch makes a difference here. You'll want to listen to more experienced people on that.

I just wanted to respond so you didn't worry too much about his tummy troubles.

The best thing that works for my dogs to firm them up is 100% canned pumpkin (no sugar added); you can get it in the bakery section.

I have switched many dogs to different foods and if I don't have time or enough food left to do the switch gradually I make sure the new food is mixed with pumpkin and it always produced nice firm stools.

Jeanine

Hi

well we are back from the vets. He threw up again on the way back in the car bless!

The vet was generally pleased with him but gave him an anti-biotic to make sure any bugs he could have picked up are 'nuked'. Said that the burns should help sort him out, but with the vaccinations...it could prolong any runs he has.

He weighs 4kgs....she seemed pleased with that, I dunno how good that is generally *erk*

He is just asleep in his den just now bless his wee white paws!

Of all the things I thought may help...Pumpkin wasn't in the list lol. Thanks for that, I will take a look for it. I do have frozen pumpkin. I froze it when i got it in our organic veg box cos I didn't know what to do with it...so I will maybe try him with that!

You want to be careful about giving antibiotic to such a young puppy. Antibiotic really throw a dogs immune system off let alone a tiny puppy.

Some Rest and relaxation along with a little time should help his tummy and runny bum out :D Pumpkin is very good too to help with that. Switching from one food to the other (I personally think) doesn't need to be done gradually. If a dogs digestive tract was really that sensitive them would have trouble eating anything new they were given including stuff they eat and find on their own at the park (like poop) :rolleyes:

The car rides are probably very stressful to him especially if he's never been in the car. Try going for short drives with him and end them before he becomes sick then slowly increase the length of the drive and see if that helps with him getting sick in the car. But I suggest do this when you know he is not got an upset tummy after he's settled in with you and your family. And who knows the car sickness mostlikely will stop after he is settled (Ideal)

You want to be careful about giving antibiotic to such a young puppy. Antibiotic really throw a dogs immune system off let alone a tiny puppy.

They don't do much for the human immune system either :rolleyes:

She pescribed Erythymicin(sp?) which is a low level anti biotic, she may aswell have pescribed fruit juice for all the good that would do against a decent virus.

We going to give him a bit of a rest then start wee trips out in the car with something FUN at the end of the drive. That way he won't associated vets and bad things whenever he is in the car!

We have a bbq planned with friends this weekend so going to take him up there.

• 2 weeks later...
She pescribed Erythymicin(sp?) which is a low level anti biotic, she may aswell have pescribed fruit juice for all the good that would do against a decent virus.

No antibiotic will do anything at all against any virus, decent or otherwise. They are effective against bacterial infections only.

How's the little guy doing?

If his tummy is still upset and the doctor still suspects a bacterial infection, the best thing is Neomycin, which is super-specific for tummy bugs, and tends not to wipe out good flora.

It's also possible you are dealing with coccidea, which is carried by waterfowl, both domestic and migratory, and is pretty common in farmyards. There's really specific drugs for that, so if the icky tummy continues, see whether your vet will consider that as an option. Coccidea can be mild but in combination with stress (travel, car rides, new home), can take down a pupper really fast. :rolleyes:

Except for the absolutely necessary, it might be best to try to limit car rides until after he's completely well. You don't want him to associate car rides with feeling sick.

He's so adorable - we're all getting all puppy googly vicariously and do hope he gets up to speed soon!