BC Boards

Stock sense

Wow! I'm gone for 2 days, and I come back to such a great thread! I think most of the bases have been covererd...it certainly helps to move stock by yourself without the dog....either just aound some general area, or working pens at a trial. I also think that those with other athletic abilities seem to have a bit of a leg up--they are more aware of how they are moving, their center of gravity, etc., and since so much of working a dog, at least in the beginning, is moving quickly in response to the dog and stock, it helps. Whether it's a background in gymnastics, ballet, surfing, soccer--whatever--I have seen lots of students over the years with no background in stock, but athletic ability that seems to be helpful.

So. bottom line--I think it really depends on the person. There are plenty who come to stock "later" in life, who go on to do very well. I think being around stock when you are young is certainly helpful, but, as noted, some who have been around stock a lot still have no cluse, and others with no background can become very good at it.

Anna