BC Boards

More questions

My puppy is doing great, I am so amazed at how fast she learns. She knows sit now :rolleyes: When do BC grow out of their puppy stage? It seems to be different for each breed of dog. About the fear imprinting stage, she has been getting terrified of the thunder. She doesn't bark at it but just wants to sit with me and bury her face. Anything I can do so she is not afraid of it forever? And one more, about spaying: Should I do it before the first heat or after? My hubby thinks after ( and I can't remember why because I stopped listening to him ) All the dogs I have had before were spayed before. ( and also a lot older which is why I don't know the puppy stuff )

When do BC grow out of their puppy stage? It seems to be different for each breed of dog.

What was the adage Alaska quoted? "When they have as many legs under them as years."

About the fear imprinting stage, she has been getting terrified of the thunder. She doesn't bark at it but just wants to sit with me and bury her face. Anything I can do so she is not afraid of it forever?

Melanie can probably tell you more about this, but IIRC, storm phobia can be inherited / genetic. You can help to manage it by not babying her, maybe indulging in a rousing game of her favourite toy while it is happening to distract her, or in the case of some dogs, crating is the best option. However, I would defer to someone with greater experience in this area as we don't really have thunderstorms here, and when we do, all my dogs look out the window to see where the Big Noise is coming from. Tweed does have a shopping cart phobia, which is unfortunate given we live downtown and there are a lot of homeless people with shopping carts using our back alley as a thoroughfare.

And one more, about spaying: Should I do it before the first heat or after? My hubby thinks after ( and I can't remember why because I stopped listening to him ) All the dogs I have had before were spayed before. ( and also a lot older which is why I don't know the puppy stuff )

There are lots and lots of schools of thought on this. All of my dogs were neutered/spayed before 6 months save one, whom was done at two years. I've not noticed any differences between them with respect to the altering. I would say go ahead and get it done so there are no chances of an accident.

RDM

Females tend to mature faster than males but still are not mentally adults until they are at least several years old.

For females it is best to spay before puberty, for males after. I would spay her sooner rather than later.

Act like thunderstorms are super fun. Have a special toy she loves above all others that only comes out when she is scared, like during storms. Play games with the toy, feed her some extra yummy treats and have a little storm party. Act really happy and don't even acknowledge the thunder or lightening. Doing that can help her forget that storms make loud, scary noises.