BC Boards

First Beginner class today

Roxie is 5 months old now. We had our first beginner class. Roxie rocked. She was so calm and sedate while the other dogs were nuts. She watched me, she knew I had treats in my pocket. LOL No fooling her.

There was another border collie mix, who was agressive to other dogs and barked a lot. A 4 year old golden, who was dying to play with anything, a hound dog of some type who was unsure, a Daushaund who wanted to be coddled on the owners lap the whole time. A german shepherd/sharpei mix who barked a lot friendly like and was dying to play with Roxie and a Aussie mix who had no interest in treats and very reserved around people.

We worked on "watch me", and loading the clicker, and talked about potty training. (Roxie has that down.) We also worked on getting the dogs to relax and allow massage/messing with feet tail, ears and mouth. She used Roxie as the example, Roxie promptly cuddled up and allowed her to do anything that she wanted.LOL She did not want the attention to stop.

She was very good at explaining different ways to reinforce behavior and appropriate negative response.

Roxie already knows more commands than that, but I figured I'd start at the beginning and go up from there.

I really liked the instructor, which is a plus.

I can't wait to go back.

Hey that's great! Liking the instructor is a definite good thing. Starting at the beginning can't hurt... though it sounds like Roxie thought all this stuff was old hat. LOL (Just hope she remembers it all when she hits teenagerhood *glances woefully at Zoe*)

Yay for Roxie!!