BC Boards

How old until they can get into agility?

Hello, I have a 10 week old BC, Whiley ( I'm sure some of you saw her in my last post ) She is amazing and running and jumping over things in the back yard. We want to get her into some agility courses and training, just the fun and exercise of it all. How old should they typically be?

To start ground work (no equipment) agility training, it can start NOW. But any jumping and twisting and high impact things (like weaving, jumping, teeters, etc) should wait until at LEAST a year old.

Get obedience first, a good stay, a good recall, good sits, downs, etc. And just getting her to work with you around distractions. Then, once lots of obedience foundation is down, you can start with some agility foundation stuff (like a wobble board, tunnels, a jump with no jump bar, targets, even contact boards if they are at a low angle).

In terms of jumping, they say (as in trainers and my vet) that until about 9 months, jumping should stay below their wrists (which is very very low). Then, after that limited jumping can be done below their elbow height. Then at a little over a year, it is physically safe to jump higher (although training should be done to ensure proper jumping before doing so)

Thanks I didn't know it should be that low. I'll have to check to make sure she is not overdoing it. She jumps around all day though so is it only jumping over things or just jumping in general? She has decided she wants to pounce at things. ( she must have something against dandelions, she will sneak up and attack them :rolleyes: )

Like the others have said you need some basic obedience first. I started Delta in formal obedience classes at 4 months and she starts agility in a few days. She is only 6 months old so it will be puppy friendly equipment only :rolleyes: It all depends on your club... my club wouldnt normally allow dogs to start that young but as I am a trainer and experienced with agility they know I wont take any chances and can trust me to do the right thing by my dog. As for things you can do now... teach her to run through a tunnel, walk along a plank of wood, put a wobbly bit of wood in the hallway so she has no way around it... she has to walk over it. This will get her used to things moving under her feet. There are heaps of different ideas that you can find on the net (although use your own judgement, if it doesnt seem right dont do it). If I get a chance I might add more later but Im in a hurry to go out sorry.