BC Boards

New to Agility Training

Next month I want to get Caly involved in agility training -- she is 3 year old bc. What skills/obedience should I have down solid for us to enjoy the sport? Her recall is not great-- she will come but not if something has her attention peaked. and I cannot get her to stay reliably -- I can tell her to "wait a minute" and she will stay but not if she really wants to go (like if I am heading to the car or outside for something).

I am working on these things -- tips will be appreciated. but for agility, what do we need to be good at doing before we begin?

I like an incredibly solid obedience foundation before agility (rock solid stays/recalls, sits and downs EVERY time you say no matter distractions, etc). But I like the obedience foundations much more than some.

So I would keep working you stays and recalls for sure - those should be very good and it will be easier to work on them now. And general off leash control (the dog should want to stick with you, not immediately go off and do their own thing and forget you even exist).

Good luck! :rolleyes:

As usual - good advice from Kat's Dogs - although my Kirra's stay is still a work in progress :rolleyes: You try to increase the behaviour little by little.

I would add that if you haven't done it already, you could work out what motivates your dog. If a tuggy toy is already in the picture as well as food, great - if not, you might want to start working on that. It's a great way of keeping your dog's attention on you in an exciting environment, as well as being a reinforcement.

For a 3 year old, too, I'd be making sure the dog is nicely fit and muscled as well as you can - and definitely make sure she is not overweight - slightly on the underweight side is better IMHO.

And remember - most important of all - have fun with your dog. It's a game.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that so long as the dog has a reasonable recall you should be right. They enjoy the agility that much that they dont go far anyway, they want to stay with you to find out what they are doing next. But without knowing your dog that is something you will need to decide. You can always use a leash for the first few weeks and see how you go. Although BCs are generally too fast to work on lead as soon as they work out what they need to do. Cody tried to drag me over a jump and through the tunnel in the 2nd week so I ditched the lead after that. As far as stays are concerned they seem to go out the window for even the most reliable obedience dog. Cody had a perfect stay until I started agility. They work out that you never come back and the end result is them running towards you over obstacles so they figure they will get a headstart. Basically make sure that every couple of times you go up, walk around the jump etc, then come back and reward them for staying.

I always teach my dogs to target my hand before taking them to agility for the first time. I put a treat in my hand so that they will follow it in figure-8s and round in circles, sometimes swapping into the other hand. It gets your dog watching to see which hand is moving (ie which one to follow).

I also teach my dogs a few basic things before I go up there so it isnt too overwhelming and they see a few things that are familiar. If you can pick up a cheap kids play tunnel I suggest teaching them to go through a tunnel. I usually throw a treat or ball through the first time and the dogs follow it through. If your dog refuses have someone hold them at one end and call them through. Make a few jumps using broom handles on flower pots, bricks, chairs etc. Try putting a tunnel and jumps in a row, get them used to putting a few things in a sequence.

Do you clicker train? I didnt start with Cody until we were well into agility training. Delta was already clicker savvy and she has picked everything up incredibly quickly, much faster than Cody. The clicker will really come in handy for teaching weaves and you can substitute the teeter for a clicker when you reach that stage. I use the "bang" as a click... so the dog stands near the teeter and every time I bang it they get a treat. Eventually you end up with dogs trying to make a big bang rather than being scared of it. But that is further down the track. So, if you dont clicker train I would suggest starting. My agility club provides clickers as part of the beginner course and spend the first week explaining clicker training. If your dog already knows what it is it will give you an advantage.

Something that alot of people dont think of. Just before training take your dog for a short run to warm up. Otherwise the jumping etc will leave them feeling rather sore the next morning.

Thats all I can think of that people havent added yet.