BC Boards

ANKC Agility Nationals - Adelaide Australia

Well I got to meet a couple of list members - Tassie and ahoops. Not bad considering there aren't many Australian's on the list so we had our first mini BC boards gathering (although not sure if ahoops and tassie met but I met each of them).

Any way where is Tassie with her brag. In the meantime I'll post ours. I managed 3 qualifications over the 3 days. One in Novice Snooker, one in open jumping and one in excellent agility. The Excellent agility qualification placed us 4th which meant we qualified for the finals on the Sunday afternoon (top 7 in each event went through to the finals). We failed spectacularly in the finals getting disqualified because the little rat decided to back jump the spread rather than come when I called her. Never mind the rest of her run was lovely. I'll post the links to her runs later on.

Sally and Ness

Ok this was from my posting to another board I belong to.....................

Some runs aren't any easier to watch the next day - still bitterly disappointed that a stupid mistake cost us a qualifying round and placing in the finals yesterday but I guess I still love her. For those of you who don't know she was attacked by a kelpie on Wednesday morning and was looking doubtful for the Nationals so to have her back and actually able to compete was just fantastic.

She is never going to be up there with the top Masters dogs but she tried her little heart out all weekend. It was a huge weekend for her with 16 runs in 3 days and not once did she switch off or shut down. Even her finals run she gave me her all.

Impressed with her 3 passes (at least she got one in each of games, agility and jumping so got one each of the different types of qualification sashes).

Any way in order we have our run which qualified her for the Excellent Agility finals.

Her open jumping pass on Saturday morning.

Her Masters Jumping round from Sunday which wasn't a pass but there were only 15 qualifiers and everybody else was disqualified and Ness nearly got around the course apart from taking the wrong last jump. She should have taken the spread instead of the broad jump. I have since found out if she had taken the correct jump we are pretty sure she would have just made time and qualified.

Finally Ness's ill-fated run in the 2007 Excellent Agility Final!!!! - so close yet so far.

OK - here we go. First, it was great to meet Ness and her human - and to see them make a final.

Now for the big brag. First, you need to know that Tasmania is an island State, and the smallest State in Australia - population of about 450,000 - (Australia's total is about 21 million). ANKC is the only agility venue on the island, and we only have about 20 handlers actively competing in the sport, and only about 12 trials per year. However, we entered a team in the Nationals Teams event. As it happened, it wasn't even our best dogs, as some of them couldn't go. It turned out to be a group of 6 of us who train together every week. and who were all going to Nationals anyway.

Teams event consisted of 2 legs - both at Masters level. Agility was in the morning, and then Jumping in the evening under lights (a pretty new experience for us.) The rules for the teams event punish wrong-courses heavily, and failure to complete the course very heavily. So our team strategy was to complete our runs, try very hard to avoid wrong courses, and not worry too much about course faults or time faults. That was pretty scary for me, as I'm usually queen of the wrong course DQ, but I managed to keep my head, and concentrate my way round the courses, and avoid the dreaded DQ. My dear little Kirra listened to me, and we only had 1 course fault in Agility, and 1 and some time faults in Jumping.

Some team members from other teams had some stunning runs, but a lot actually had DQs, so we thought we were doing OK. But it wasn't until the presentations that we knew the results. As the places from 9th were read out, we were getting more and more excited - and finally they announced the winner - the Tasmanian team!!! We're still pinching ourselves nearly a week later! :rolleyes: I'm happy to say too, that we had a great reception from other competitors, judges etc.

On the individual front, Kirra and I didn't do as well as Ness, but we did get a Novice Strategic Pairs Q in our first attempt, and an Open Agility Q (Excellent standard, includes a distance challenge - like the one in Gamblers.) But almost my favourite result was the Masters Jumping on the last day - the tricky course that only 15 out of about 150 Qd. Kirra and I managed to get round clear, but had 1 time fault, so missed the Q by 0.7 seconds. However, we did get an award for being the highest scoring non-Masters-titled dog on course - and I think finished in the top 20 - maybe 16 or 17. Very exciting in that sort of company.

I don't have videos - probably luckily.

It was a fabulous weekend - over 230 competitors, many with multiple dogs - 3500 runs, including some fantastic runs by competitors from various states and from New Zealand. What a learning experience.

Way to go Barb and Kirra!!! For everybody who is interested the MJ course is actually the one I posted the video for - would have been a battle for the top untitled dog if Ness hadn't mucked at the last jump. :rolleyes:

Guest CleverDog

Looks like you had fun -her bounce through the weaves is so cute! Do you guys have a stand on the table always, or can they say sit or down also? Just curious -we don't have a stand over here!

Way to go!

and I love the vids and pictures of Ness! Those are beautiful!

The stand on the table caught me by surprise too - I was like "Why isn't she telling her to lay down!". :rolleyes:

Congratulations to everyone!