BC Boards

Wondering about ferrets and breeding

Just by curiosity, thanks to the post of sincere arisan I played doing searchs on petfinder (luckily, they are all too far )

I was amazed how many ferret are available for adoption, sad thing, and it make me wonder about indiscriminate breeding, a largely talked topic in this forum.

In Chile, you can't breed ferrets, there are a few authorized breeders (three or so, not so bigs) and the rest of the ferrets are imported. By law, all the ferrits have to be selled neutered, so nobody can breed them in their homes.

Of course I would love to could breed my owns, but I'm glad things are the way they are. You will NEVER find ferrets for rescue here, all them are very cherised. If someone can't own his anymore(my own case), he can sell the ferret in no less than US200, an adult one. A pup, in a shop, could cost from 300 to 500 dollars. OK, discriminatory, but considering the healty issues on ferrets, if you have not even the money to buy one, better not have one. Vet bills can be very expensive.

I'm not saying that to breed dogs on your own should be forbidden. As a cultural thing, even the poorest of the men should have the right to have a dog (and in the history, dogs have ever been at the side of the poorest). But to point how, if the breeding could be done only in a responsible manner (and if possible, not by law, but by a moral thing), the shelters could be empty.