BC Boards

Fans for your dogs

Those that do dog sports or anything requiring cooling your dog down - do you recommend any particular brand/model of portable, battery operated fan that does not attach to a crate (I'll be using pop-up crates).

I'm particularly interesting in low noise, high velocity and prefer oscillating. There's a small black one on Clean Run that has caught my eye - and everywhere else I've looked online doesn't really tell me how powerful they are.

Clean Run fan, $14.95 : This portable folding fan provides up to 300 hours of use with 4 alkaline “D” cell batteries.

FanAnimation.gif

Sorry for the obnoxious animated gif :rolleyes:

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I use the little 12V fans you can buy for inside of your car: Like This

I plug them into a jump starter that I've charged fully before a weekend tournament: Jump Starter

This particular model has three 12V plugs. The one I use only has one plug and I have a 3-way splitter so I can plug in 3 fans at once. I can run all 3 fans for a few hrs before I drain the unit completely. I don't normally run them continuously and the power supply lasts me all weekend. But they also recharge overnight.

Don't waste your time on those battery powered fans. They don't blow for anything and they die so fast it's hardly worth it. You'll spend more in batteries than you will buying the entire setup I've described.

I have the small black fan and it works ok - better than the blue ones that you can hang on a wire crate.

I just bought a fan made by Ryobi (they make tools) and it comes with a rechargable 18v battery and will run for about 6-8 hours continuously.

A friend let me borrow 2 of those clean run fans on a hot weekend (maybe 80 degrees). They worked fine then, the dogs loved them. Then a few weeks later though, it was up to about 105 degrees and those fans didn't help at all!

For minor heat, those would do fine. For major heat, I would recommend something a little "more" like Debbie suggested

I didn't know they even made car lighter fans - that's probably a great idea for using in the car for the dogs too. That way I don't have to drive down the freeway with my windows open (hate that) after we go to the dog park or similar.

The Ryobi looks pretty good too - with the rechargeable battery system. I'll have to go to Home Depot and check it out. I bet I could even try it out - see if I need 2 fans or not.

I definitely want rechargeable something. Who even uses alkalines anymore?

Ryobi system: $30/fan & $30/in car charger & $40/2 battery packs = $100/1 fan+extra battery.

Car fan system: $15/fan & $50 jumper = $65/1 fan or $80/2 fans.

Hmmmm.....

Wal-mart carries some great battery operated fans. They take 8 Dcell batteries, which is huge, but they have very good power and the batteries last about 70 hours. The fans are much larger than the normal crate fans - I'd guess like 18 inches by 18 inches. They are also super cheap - about $15 each. There are two models. One is located in the camping section and has a little hanger on the top that works well for wire crates. There is a second slightly different model in the fan section (usually near paint) that comes with a power cord too. I like the camping ones a bit better. You have to be careful when putting the batteries in as the fans are plastic & if you try to force them, you can break them. But, we've been using them since last summer at competitions and they have really worked well. I was suprised as how much power they had.

Dana

Guest TheRuffMuttGang
Car fan system: $15/fan & $50 jumper = $65/1 fan or $80/2 fans.

Look around more--they sell the power packs for as little as $25 in some places without the jump starter. I know I've found them on Ebay for great prices before. I only went with the the jump starter model for a little peace of mind on car trips.

Dana, bring those fans in a couple of weeks! You'll need 'em down here already! :rolleyes: