BC Boards

CRATE AGGRESSIVENESS

jrid

Just this week my 18 month old neutered male Border Collie, Beaver has started acting very aggressive in his crate. He only acts out when my male Rat Terrier passes in front of his crate. Beaver lunges in his crate and growls from deep in his throat. After he did this several times in a few minutes last night, I put the rat terrier in the kitchen with a baby gate closing off the entrance and the Beaver kept acting out because he could still see the other dog. When I tried to bring Beaver out of the crate, he went right past me to the baby gate to try to get the Rat Terrier. When I reached for him, he went back in his crate and when I tried to get him to come out again, he growled at me. At that point I decided to let things cool off for a few minutes because I figured I was going to get bit. After a very short while I let all the dogs but the Rat Terrier outside and there were no incidents, everyone was happy, no one did anything to anyone else. However, when I brought the dogs back in, Beaver went as far back in his crate as he could go. I let the Rat Terrier out of the kitchen and Beaver growled but did not lunge in the crate. There were no incidents this morning when I let all the dogs out to potty.

When Beaver acts out, it is like he is in a trance. I could not break his attention away from the Rat Terrier. Any suggestions?