BC Boards

Elvin Kopp stockdog clinic eastern OH May 2007

Elvin Kopp's clinics are based on his structured, logical approach to stockdog training. In contrast to some other clinicians, Elvin takes all participants through his step-by-step training method, whether you are novice or experienced.

He begins with the basics of the dog/handler relationship, then developing the natural abilities of the dog,and finally training mechanical moves. While proceeding from work without stock (the dog/handler relationship) in the first session on Friday evening, through working with sheep and then cattle, his training style is methodical and, I believe, especially helpful to novice handlers who may have a more limited understanding of dogs and stock. All the while, he is carefully explaining and discussing the theory behind what he is training, which is very helpful.

If you can't bring a dog to this clinic, I think it is still one of the most outstanding clinics to audit. While it's a great learning experience with a dog, I think Elvin's approach makes his clinic particularly instructive to audit and a great clinic for a novice to learn from. That said, experience handlers will learn a great deal, as well.

Elvin's structured approach is accompanied by lots of two-way discussion with the participants (he "quizzes" the gallery often and that leads to great discussion) and ample use of a white board to illustrate his points.

When I was considering attending one of Elvin's clinics, I was scribing for Bud Boudreau at the Bluegrass and solicited his opinion. He enthusiastically said that Elvin was "the best" and that I shouldn't miss the opportunity. That was good enough endorsement for me, and Elvin didn't disappoint.

This clinic will be held indoors at John Lavelle's farm just a bit south of Athens OH, so it's very comfortable no matter what the weather. There are camper/trailer hook-ups at a very inexpensive price, and an indoor restroom. The Federal-Hocking FFA provides an excellent and reasonably-priced food concession on site. John is a gracious and excellent host, and any event at his farm is friendly and welcoming to all.

Elvin Kopp Stock Dog Clinic.

Friday-Sunday, May 25-27, 2007

Lavelle Farms

3078 Fox Lake Road

New Marshfield, Ohio (Athens County)

www.lavellefarms.com

THE CLINICIAN. From the Meeker Sheep Dog web site “Elvin and his wife Jan have

lived at That’ll Do Ranch in Westerose Alberta, Canada since 1981, and raise purebred Red

Angus, Border Collies and Quarter Horses. In summer they run a summer grazing program

for 1500 head of yearlings.

Dogs are used extensively in the cattle operation e.g. during A.I. season, round-up, treating,

and general management whether in corrals, chutes or open pasture.

Cutting Horses are a passion of Elvin’s and he uses the dogs as turn-back in the training and

practice pen.

In the past Elvin has competed extensively in sheepdog trials and cattle competitions. It has

always been his goal to have good practical working ranch dogs that can be competitive.

For the last 18 years Elvin has taught Stock dog training throughout North America, as well

as being invited to judge numerous sheep dog events.” Some past events include the

Bluegrass trial in Kentucky and the Meeker classic this year in Colorado. He also produced a

very popular three part training video series on stockdogs. Elvin recently won the cattle class

at the Calgary Stampede and has been a top competitor in sheep and cattle events all over

North America.

THE CLINIC. The clinic will be held at Lavelle Farms, in Southeastern Ohio on Friday-

Sunday May 25-27, 2007. Beginning Friday evening May 25, 2007 at 6:00 p.m., the clinic

will last until approximately 9:00 p.m. the first evening. Then participants will work from

8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. For directions to the farm, please see the

map on www.lavellefarms.com The cost is $250.00 per dog, for both days. IF PAID AND

ENROLLED BY April 15, 2007, THE COST IS ONLY $250.00. There are only a limited

number of dogs being accepted to allow for more individual attention. Auditors can observe

without a dog for $20.00 daily. Beginners are welcome as well as the seasoned handler. Dog

broke cattle and sheep will be available for the clinic. Arenas, round corrals and pastures will

be used depending on the weather, experience of the dog and handler. Trailer loading, trial

techniques and general farm and ranch work with dogs will be covered. The new 120' x 200'

indoor arena is available, so the clinic will go forward rain or shine. Save $25.00 by

enrolling before April 15, 2007. After that date, the cost goes up to $275.00.

For more information, please contact John P. Lavelle, 740.593.3348-day; 740-664-3313

Application for

May 25-27, 2007 Elvin Kopp Stock Dog clinic.

Friday evening 6:00 p.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.

$275.00 per dog for all three days. $250.00 if paid in full by April 15, 2007

Lavelle Farms - New Marshfield, Ohio

First-Come, First-Serve.

NAME:

ADDRESS:

CITY: E-mail

STATE: ZIP: PHONE: 8-5: P.M.

For directions, please see map at www.lavellefarms.com

Please send this fully signed and completed form with your check or money order in the full amount of your

reservation made payable to :Lavelle Farms and mail to John P. Lavelle, 207 Columbus Road, Suite B, Athens,

Ohio 45701-1335.

Each dog and handler will have sessions with Elvin Kopp on dog broke cattle and sheep. The price includes all

stock charges.

Self contained camping hook-ups with electric and water only, are available at $10.00 per night.

Participation is decided on a first- come, first- served basis. The clinic is expected to fill up quickly. There shall

be no refunds if you cancel, but every effort shall be made to provide you with the names of those wait-listed so

you can attempt to sell or transfer your spot. The provisions of Ohio’s Equine Limited Liability Act apply, as do

general principles of assumption of the risk and the participant, by his signature below, waives any and all rights

to sue or recover damages for any acts of claimed negligence by the instructor or any sponsor, arising from

participation in this clinic. These conditions are understood and accepted by me: Limited number of dogs. Call

for availability.

Signature Date

For more information contact:

John P. Lavelle, Lavelle Farms, 3078 Fox Lake Road, New Marshfield, Ohio 45766

www.lavellefarms.com 740.664.3313 jlavelle@johnplavelle.com

740\593-3348-work;740\664-3313-home;740\594-3343-FAX;e-mail jlavelle@johnplavelle.com

MAIL IN RESERVATION FORM TODAY!

ATHENS AREA MOTELS.

HAMPTON INN-Brand new Jan. 2007. Near Mall on East side of Athens (740)593-5600

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS-next to Appleby’s Restaurant. Opening Spring 2007.

SUPER 8-(740)696-5800-East side of Athens-extra charge for dogs. Confirm price details in advance.

O.U. INN and CONFERENCE CENTER-(740)593-6661-Full Service

AMERIHOST (740)594-3000-next to Bob Evans Restaurant

BUDGET INN EXPRESS-(740) 593-5565

BUDGET HOST COACH INN (740) 594-2294

SLEEPY FOX FARM Bed &Breakfast (740)767-4185-Near Glouster, Ohio.

Bittersweet Farm, Bed and Breakfast (740)664-2029-half mile from farm.

JACKSON, OHIO-About 35-40 miles.

Comfort Inn - 1.0 miles E - 605 E Main St, Jackson, OH - (740) 286-7581

Red Roof Inn - 1.0 miles SE - 1000 Acy Ave, Jackson, OH - (740) 288-1200

Days Inn Motel - 1.2 miles E - 960 E Main St - Jackson, OH (740) 286-3464

I want to add something to this - I was recently at John's where I was able to watch a several handlers that attended Elvin's clinic last fall. I was very impressed with the improvement in their handling skills and the great strides their dogs had made in becoming more confident, biddable, understanding of what the handler was asking for, etc. Elvin's style of training and handling had really made a positive difference with these handlers and their dogs.

One was an ACD who previously had been ready to work but seemed totally confused at just what to do and what his handler wanted of him. He did an amazing job at this recent trial, working his stock confidently and competently, and following the directions his handler was giving him.

The second dog was a Hangin Tree Cow Dog, a young dog, who was moving with quiet confidence and biddability. I think both dogs showed that Elvin's methods work well at training both the handler and the dog.

These dogs both live in situations where they are able to daily work and train, and so some other handlers would see slower progress due to their situation. However, they both showed that Elvin's humane and clear training methods are worthwhile and his teaching style really instructs well.