BC Boards

Fast Dogs

zenotri

Just wondering what people's thoughts, experiences, suggestions are for dogs who move quickly around their sheep?

Are some dogs just naturally faster than others? Does it mean something or is it just the way they are?

My 3YO has always moved pretty quickly. She will stop naturally when she needs to & is not ramming sheep into me, but often when she is moving it is fast. She certainly has the ability to move slowly & often will on a fetch but generally she seems to move faster than most dogs.

Since starting my pup, I really notice the difference between the two, it's like everything is in slow motion.

Seems like often, but certainly not always, a dog that is a bit slower or more deliberate on the sheep, especially when flanking, has a bit mroe eye than one who flanks and moves more freely. Could this be the case with your two? It also seems to me that sometimes the dog with more eye, even when beginning, will more readily slow down behind those sheep when bringing them or just walking up on them--more of a deliberate kind of movement. The looser-eyed dog can be a bit quicker in all its movements.

Hard to tell without seeing both dogs, but in my experience, that might be one explanation. As long as the faster dog slows down to an appropriate speed when walking behind the sheep, and as along as the slower dog doesn't get sticky, it's not an issue--just different dogs. In fact, it's kinda neat to have them be quite different, as it really makes you a better handler to work with all types of dogs and to see how they each have their own style of accomplishing the same job,

ETA: Also I just re-read your post and see it's a pup who's slower--how old is the up, and is it just unsure in some way that makes it hesitant, which results in "slower"?

Anna

I think Anna makes some good points. I also think sometimes the fast dogs are fast because they lack some confidence and are using their speed to move the stock. As Anna points out, a slow pup might also simply be lacking in confidence or understanding of what you want.

In fact, it's kinda neat to have them be quite different, as it really makes you a better handler to work with all types of dogs and to see how they each have their own style of accomplishing the same job.

Yep, that's the joy of working Twist (more eye and more deliberate, but will move anything) and Kat (faster than a speeding bullet, but watch out if things stop)!

J.

Regarding the question on "speed", I would ask:

Are we talking speed while pushing the sheep, or speed

while turning/flanking? Or both?

The main question is, in any case,

How do the sheep like it?

Do they respond nicely, or are they getting upset and/or moving too quickly?

I have a dog who has a good bit of eye, tends to walk in very carefully,

sometimes too carefully, but who sometimes flanks like he is shot out of a cannon.

Of course everything depends upon how the dog's movements affect the sheep.

In his case, when he does this it tends to upset the sheep leading to more erratic behavior and/or

a fight, depending upon the sheep involved. So, from time to time we work

on softening his flanks.

I have another dog with a nice feel for the sheep but with very little eye.

When you flank him you'd better be on your toes to turn him in at the right

spot. Interestingly, while he flanks very freely and pretty quickly, his

motion is such that the sheep are very comfortable with it.

charlie

Thanks for your thoughts & ideas.

As long as the faster dog slows down to an appropriate speed when walking behind the sheep, and as along as the slower dog doesn't get sticky, it's not an issue--just different dogs. In fact, it's kinda neat to have them be quite different, as it really makes you a better handler to work with all types of dogs and to see how they each have their own style of accomplishing the same job,

I think this is about it...they are just different, the sheep don't seem to have a problem with my faster dog & I don't think my pup will be sticky, it's early days yet & she's certainly not slow, just slower. They are related & both have a fair amount of eye & no trouble moving sheep. You're right, I think (hope) it will make me a better handler.