BC Boards

shearing school

Belleview

Last year I posted looking for information on attending a shearing school. We have a hard time finding shearers in my area & I was hoping to become proficient enough to do my own flock.

Last weekend I went to the 2 day shearing school at Cornell, just outside of Ithaca, NY. It was very well run. The instructors & other participants came from all over the US. It's hard work, but I highly recommend it!

Some photos below (thanks Michele!)

http://www.sheep.cornell.edu/sheep/researc...hool/index.html

Hey Lori,

I was just asking Tom the other day how you did at the shearing school! Looks like fun (and hard work). as your back killing you? Having taken a hand shearing clinic from Kevin Ford I can say that I am impressed that all those sheep were getting sheared and no evidence of blood! That's a successful first shearing in my book.

J.

Hey Julie!

My back was just tired...my legs were sore! Some of the Cornell sheep were VERY big. Thankfully, mine are considerably smaller.

There was one participant who wanted to do hand shearing & the main instructor demo'd the process for him. Yikes. I had always thought hand-shearing would be "easier" for a novice, but I think I've changed my mind!

The good stuff for me was the handling, i.e. restraint tips (which I think will be really helpful for trimming hooves) and the info. I got on tweeking my equipment.

I came home & did three of mine before I pooped out! They aren't pretty...I really have to practice my technique. Tom has offered to supervise..... : )

Lori