BC Boards

Tips for shy dog

Zoot

I'm a novice handler with a shy two year old rescue border collie. I've introduced him to sheep and as luck would have it one of my pushy ewes bullied him. He has very good eye, strong interest and wears incessantly outside the fence but is reluctant to go in the paddock with the ewes now.

Should I bring him into the field on leash? I've been leading him with me to push the sheep out of the pens into the field and guarding against him being tromped on again. I'm trying various ways to have him be successful in pushing sheep hoping he will forget the bully incident.

I had a very strong BC cattle dog years ago and now a shy dog is a new challenge for me. Any tips would be appreciated!

You'll need a much smaller paddock and sheep you can move around yourself. You won't be albe to force him to do anything until he decides that listening to his instincts is worth the risk that exists in his mind. Move the sheep around, pay him NO attention, just be ready to back off the sheep if he seems to be inclined to take control away frm you. Grab a sheep, move it away from the flock, then let it go and do an outrun yourself!

Use another dog to keep the sheep in one area if you can't get a smaller field.

I wuld definitely not let him work them from outside the fence anymore. That's letting him get his kicks on his own terms. He's got to learn that he's got to take the pressure to get what he wants. You also can try tying him while you work a more enthusiastic dog.

Your tips helped. I started using a small (100' x 60') paddock and he is gaining courage quickly. I noticed he is full of vinegar early in the morning and late afternoon, so I use those times to "play" but with the sheep. I don't let him wear outside the fence anymore, just put him in the kennel after working. I also took him off leash this afternoon and he began responding well to "stand" and "walk up". Tomorrow I'll sort off the bossy ewes and try moving the rest around the paddock paying no attention to him as you suggested to see what he does.

Should I keep the session short, leaving him in the mood to continue working? Maybe 5 or 10 minutes at a time? I have high hopes for both the rescue dog and me. Thanks for you advice!

Yes, short sessions are always best in the beginning, especially if the dog is a bit unsure about working or life in general. You want to always quit wour work on a good note, when things have gone well, if possible, but especially with the dog wanting more.

Anna

I think Ty is gaining confidence. I let the sheep into a larger 2 acre paddock and Ty walks up at my side, keen on the sheep, and when getting close, wears side to side in a low crouch with steady eye and without gripping. But if I run around the sheep to put him on balance, he stays very wide and is reluctant to walk up. I can hold out my hand and he responds by flanking that direction as I give the come bye or away to me command. He stops for the stand command if I keep it brief.

Do you think he will gain confidence if I continue the driving with me close by or should I somehow work to develop the gather first? When a ewe turns on him, I help him push her away and encourage him to stand his ground. I can spend a lot of time with him so would 2-3 10 minutesessions per day be too much?