BC Boards

Sheep Skin Problem

Deacon Dog

9-month-old ewe lamb. Hair loss from lower lip to nose and in 1/4" rings around eyes. No crusting. Lamb is eating and doesn't appear to be uncomfortable. No similar symptoms in other lambs or ewes.

My original thought was sore mouth or some sort of external parisite, but the symptoms don't fit what I've been able to find out about these conditions.

Ideas?

What breed of sheep is it? I have Dorsett Cheviot crosses and I had a ram lamb last year that had the exact symptoms you describe. Initially thinking it was some type of mange, I started putting a bleach/water solution on it, but later was told that it is just natural for some breeds to lose hair in those areas on their face. He never did grow it back and was always prone to sunburn.

Tunis. I'll have to check my records, but she may be from the first buch of ewes I purchased which were probably 3/4 Tunis with what looks like some white-face breeds mixed in.

Sounds like the best thing to do is keep an eye on her and let it run its course. I'm scared to apply disinfectant, permethrin or fungicide around the eyes and mouth.