BC Boards

Shelter Size?

Megan

I plan on getting some sheep in the next few years, after my dog is trained on them, but want to do a lot of the research now! I was looking through some posts from little hats and came across this...

"So I had a guy build a 10' x 10' wood shed with a roof and 4 plywood sides and braces that can be unscrewed in case I ever want to move. Total cost $500. It holds about 40-50 sheep."

can a 10x10 ACTUALLY hold 40-50 sheep?!

I plan on EVENTUALLY having a LARGE number of sheep,probably over 100, (if its something I really enjoy and something I definatley need to learn more about!) and breed for wool, but I was thinking I would have to build something similar to an Indoor arena to house them all!

Could someone clarify this for me please?!

Thank you!

Well, the thing is, sheep don't tend to seek shelter unless teh weather is really horrible (driving rain, sleet, very heavy falling snow, high winds, and hot sun). Then when they do they like to squish together (except when it's hot). I don't think 10 x 10 would be sufficient for 40 sheep in full fleece, but we have a field with a 16 x 10 shelter which works for twenty moderately fleeced ewes and their lambs. We have VERY mild weather here in the winter however, and they do not spend much of their time there.

If you had to put your sheep up (I would imagine so, in Maine), you'd want a real barn with sufficient space to allow them to lounge comfortably for extended periods of tme. Sheep are very cold hardy but you would need to feed them, hence the barns for most people. They would need room for not just the sheep, but also their feeders. If you lamb in cold weather you'll need even more space under the roof.

I would contact a breeder in Maine and ask them. I know of several that with Icelandics seldom use a shed. A lot depends on the breed and what you plan on doing with it. The Icelandic is more difficult to drive/herd but can be done with a good dog. You might check out the Oklahoma State University (OSU) website for info on breeds of sheep. You would also want sheep raised in your planting zone. Mine are used to my climate but may not do as well in Maine. Yet the Icelandic breed is doing well in Northern Maine.

10x10 would definately not be enough room for 40 - 50 of my sheep, especially in full wool and/or with lambs. This only allows a 2'X1' space for each sheep . . . I also question why you'd want 4 sides. You can probably fit more sheep in a lean-to of the same size with the back (covered side) facing prevailing weather, and have better ventilation and easier cleanup too.

I imagine our conditions here in CNY are similar to your's in Maine (lots of snow, lots of cold). We lamb during Dec./Jan./Feb. and I only provide a run-in for most of the sheep. Many days they spend outside (of their own accord). When it gets close to freezing inside the barn, they're obviously "hot." The most important thing is to provide shelter from the wind (hence my recommendation for a lean to), although it's nice to have a more protected area (but still well-ventilated) set up with lambing pens for weak lambs/ewes, sick ewes, new mothers and multiples (triplets).

Kim

I THINK THAT YOU NEED TO TALK TO A AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE. HERE IN THE SCOTTISH BORDERS WE NEVER HOUSE SHEEP UNLESS EARLY LAMBERS.

AND THATS IN THE HIGH LAND IN THE GLENS THEY WOULD BE OUTDOORS WITH STRAW BALES

SET IN A ROUNDALL AS MUCH FOR THE SHEPHERD. SHELTER FOR LAMBING.

ONCE YOU GET HOOKED ON COLLIES AND REARING SHEEP YOU WILL DO IT FOR LIFE

BEST REGARDS

IAIN

If you are going to use the buiding as living quarters for the sheep, you should figure on 15 to 20 square feet of floor space per ewe. The low end would be for small ewes with single lambs, the higher end for prolific or large breed sheep.

You could probably crowd 40 sheep into a 100 square foot space for handling or the like, but you they need much more room than that if it's to be their living quarters.

Get yourself a copy of Sheep Housing and Equipment Handbook from Midwestern Plan Services. It has some good layouts for different kinds of sheep barns.