BC Boards

AKC question

Olivia

I was trying to explain to a friend about the whole border collie vs the AKC thing and she had a question that I was not sure of the answer for. I know that if a dual registered dog earns a conformation title it is deregistered from the ABCA. However, if a dog is dual registered for the purpose of dog sports and is later bred to a ABCA registered dog can the puppies be ABCA registered or do they lose that due to one parent being AKC registered even if not shown in conformation?

Sorry if that was not clear. I hope it was.

Thanks!

Olivia

I believe as long as the dual registered dog is not a conformation champion, the [shudder] sport bred pups are still eligible to be registered ABCA.

Our resident experts are at the Bluegrass this week!

Anyway, yes, it's slightly inconsistent, but the problem is one of where to draw the line in such a way that it is both enforceable and relevant. There is a clear and present danger from the conformation mindset. That conviction, rather than a specific "anti-AKC" attitude, is what drives the policy, at least in my understanding.

Thanks Rebecca,

Wish I was at Bluegrass!

I understand the enforcement problem as well as the relevance problem with outlawing all AKC border collies. Yuck!

Thanks for the prompt answer, hopefully when the experts get back from kicking some butt at Bluegrass they can chime in.

Olivia