BC Boards

Dearly Departed Dolly

The word from Scotland is that Dolly the cloned sheep met her demise due to Jaagsiekte (pulmonary adenomatosis).

Like OPP, it causes tumors on the lungs and is caused at least in part by a retrovirus, which would explain the report I read that she died of "lung cancer caused by a virus."

Jaagsiekte is incurable, progressive, and contagious. The incubation period is about three or four years, so the fact that she only lived to be six doesn't appear to have anything to do with the fact that she was cloned -- it's about when you'd expect Jaagsiekte to carry off a ewe.

Well, holy smokes!! You'd think they'd keep a sheep of Dolly's significance away from such nasties! I understand, especially with such a long incubation, the average sheep getting exposed but this was DOLLY for Pete's sake!

So any word on what they'll do now? Clone more? Give up? (not likely) And whatever happened to that nutty lady that announced to the press that her company had cloned a couple of human babies? I never heard any new reports after the origional broadcasts. Of course, I wasn't looking for them either. :rolleyes: