BC Boards

Pups refusing to eat - getting worried

Aerie

So...here's the deal.

I've had Combat, Recon, and Sage on a raw diet for almost two full years now (after several false starts and switching back and forth to kibble).

Finances are getting tight because of the divorce and I got this -BRILLIANT- (rolling my eyes) idea that kibble would be cheaper than raw. Of course, I must have been asleep when I came to that conclusion because Chicken Soup dog food around here is $34 for 35 pounds which is very close to $1 a pound and the raw is WAY less than $1 a pound. But that's beside the point.

Since switching - four days ago - the dogs have not eaten. Well, Sage is eating, but Combat and Recon refuse to eat more than about a handful. I've mixed in pumpkin, their fish oil, yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs..i've tried giving it plain..nothing is working. Combat managed to get about half a cup of it down tonight, and I got Recon to eat MAYBE a handful by feeding it to her piece by piece...

When should I start really worrying? They're drinking normally, don't appear to be sick, and are active as usual.

I've promised them if they'll just finish this bag of food that i'll put them back on raw but they aren't listening. Meanies.

Seriously, though, should I be concerned? Should I just put them back on raw? Or should I just trust that they won't starve themselves? They used to -love- this kibble.

I'm really getting worried.

I guess I can do that - I know they won't refuse to eat the raw unless they're actually and I really don't think they're ill, just...something's not quite right.

Now to figure out what to do with an entire 35 pound bag of chicken soup for the dog lovers soul kibble. Whee.