BC Boards

throwing up

Yancey who is a blue Merle and will be one year old tomorrow (Jan 4th)has lately started to Gag and sometimes throw up but there is not always food in it. Is he eating something that making him do this? I read online that some Dogs are allergic to dog food. It doesn't seem to make him any less active. I run him about 3 miles a day plus all the Rabbits he chases on our 5 acres

doesn't seem to bother him ,but that throwing up is freaking me out. I have an appointment with the Vet on Friday. is anyone else familar with this problem?

When my dog was quite young (under a year), he would periodically vomit. It would generally happen in the morning, nothing but fluid would come up.

One day, he hacked up a very large bolus of fibers - from squeaky toys, tennis balls, chew/tug ropes, etc. - with bits of plastic in it. He is a "swallower" of things he chews off toys, and he had swallowed a lot of fibers that formed a "fiber ball" in his stomach.

What I think was happening was that this fiber ball would occasionally block the outlet to the small intestine and he would vomit. Once he spit up this fiber ball, his periodic vomitting ended. So also did his "career" with stuffed and furry toys, tennis balls, and chew/tug ropes.

We have had no problems since. I am just very grateful that the fiber ball did not pass into his intestines and cause a blockage, which would have been potentially lethal.

Originally posted by yancey fancy pants:

Yancey who is a blue Merle and will be one year old tomorrow (Jan 4th)has lately started to Gag and sometimes throw up but there is not always food in it.

Is there a pattern to when he throws up -- like in the morning or a certain time after a meal? Is there bile or is it clearish? A lot or a little vomit? Once a week or several times a day? I'd guess there are a lot of reasons a dog could be throwing up, including food allergies. Some dogs will throw up bile if they don't eat 2 or 3 times a day. I've had a couple who defintely needed a morning meal for that reason. Some dogs will throw up bile if they have certain bacteria in their stomach. This seemed to be the case with another dog of mine. As I said, there must be all kinds of possible causes. Your vet is your best bet. Let us know what he/she says.

Liz

I had a dog that threw up bile every morning if I didn't feed her quick enough. At that time I fed in the late afternoon, I started feeding her twice a day and gave her snacks. She was fine then after. Never threw-up again...she just didn't do well on an empty stomach.

Hope thats all thats wrong with yours!

P~

I also had a dog who threw up bile in the mornings. I was told it was just "empty tummy puke" and that snacks at night before bed would fix it, but they didn't. At some point I switched her to a different dog food (from Nutro to Wysong) and she never barfed again.

We took Yancey to the Vet (Dr. Cathy Williams) who examined him, plus an X-ray (that we ask for) and found him in excellent health (No blockage, tummy sounded good). Vet gave him an antbodic, and his nose swelled right up. More freaking out, but it didn't seem to bother him at all. Took him to the Emergency Vet and they gave him a shot of Benidrill(?) The swelling went away and he just fine. He has had soft stools the last couple of days (just took a sample in today for the Vet to check). Feeding him Chicken and Rice and keeping him from eating anything other than what we feed him. Molly and I appericate the advise and concern shown toward Yancey...Thanks much.....Rod

We have 4 dogs in our house and would find vomit a couple times a week but we were never sure which dog it was. I kept pestering the vet about the vomiting because I started tracking it on a calendar and it was 2-3 times a week. The vet finally said that they may have some kind of worm that regular de-wormers might not eliminate. I had them all wormed then and now, no more vomiting. We have about 8 acres where we let the dogs run around under supervision and of course there's all kinds of fun stuff to eat out there, like rabbit and deer poop, etc.