BC Boards

Puppy and Diarrhea

JohnSvoboda

Hello all, I pray someone can give me some help with my 10 month old BC puppy Astro. He has had diahrrea for the last 2 months or so. At first the vet told me some home remedies to stop the problem. I fed him rice with his food, yogurt with his food, even changed his food from NutroMax lamb and Rice Puppy, to a chicken-based food by Iams. The vet finally gave me anti-biotics to give him for a week. The anti-biotics seemed to help for about a week or so, and then the problem came back. This is extremely frustrating for both myself and Astro, and it breaks my heart to see him sick all the time. Does anyone have any other temporary fixes for this, or any idea what this could be? When the vet did a stool test he said that none of his bacteria levels were much higher than they should be. Please Help!!!

I have a dog that is sensitive to practically everything they put in commercial food these days. I ended up making his food at home. Bu here's some things I discovered while searching for a commercial food that didn't make Ben tear out huge chunks of his hair and get the runs.

Try a food with even fewer ingredients than the ones you describe, like California Natural Chicken and Rice, or Natural Balance, or try one of the foods that has ingredients other than the usual rice and "alternate" protein sources, like a duck and potato. Wellness has a new line called "simple duck" and "simple venison" for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Make sure that even though the name of the food is "chicken and rice", that that's ALL that's in it. No soy, wheat, corn, or "meat/chicken by products". Chicken and chicken meal is OK, unless you are looking to avoid chicken of course.

Here's the ingredients from the Iams puppy bag - don't know whether this is the one you have:

Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Ground Whole Grain Barley, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, [and vitamins and minerals]

Here's Natural Balance:

Potatoes, Duck, Duck Meal, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Potato Fiber, DL-methionine, L-Lysine, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Natural Flavor, Yucca Schidigera Extract [and vitamins and minerals]

And California Natural:

Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White, Rice, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Taurine, Flaxseed, Vitamins/Minerals

And Wellness Simple Duck:

Ground Brown Rice, Duck, Brown Rice Protein, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Flaxseed, Natural Duck Flavor, Taurine plus Vitamins and Minerals.

Here's a web site where you can comparison shop some of these foods and order them if you want.

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/dept_br...asp?dept%5Fid=1

Good luck!