BC Boards

Some spaying questions

Hedera

Moira is going to be spayed soon; on August 20th, when she's 5 months and three weeks old (she was born March first).

Now, my previous dog was also spayed, but that was 14 years ago and I can't really remember what it was like....

The vet told me that she'll walk right out of the surgery. I'm still arranging someone with a car to pick us up (I don't drive) since I don't want to squish her in the bicycle-basket/crate thingy I have.

The operation is on Friday, and I've planned a quiet weekend - I only hope Moira has, too! :rolleyes:

The Tuesday after it, we'll have to go pick some children up from school, which will be a 15 minute walk each way.

Would that be too much for her? If so, I can leave her behind, crated, but since it's not in our own house, I"m not sure how comfortable she'll be with that.

Also, we're going on holiday together on one of the Dutch isles on September 13th, for a week. The vet says she'll be completely recovered after a week, but that seems a bit optimistic to me.

The holiday starts three weeks after surgery; will she be back to her normal activity level by then? Or should I take it easy with her still?

She's never been to the beach before, but if other dogs I know are any indication, a lot of running, barking and mad zoomies are to be expected....

Finally, what about the hormonal changes?

I've read that dogs 'blow their coat' after spaying - is that always the case? She's only had her adult coat for a couple of months, seems like such a shame to lose it again.

And are there any behavioral changes to be expected?

Anything else I should be aware of?

I have to say, I'm a bit anxious about having that beautiful, soft, smooth, spotted little belly cut open.... :D

I don't want to hog the boards, but you sound so worried and unless there are any other vet techs out there I might as well relieve your stress... Your dog will be FINE!!!! They seem to have less pain and a faster recovery when they are young. She will walk out on her own 4 feet and the worst you might see is her being sensitive the first day and a half. Many don't ever even act like it was done.(however keep her bouncing to a minimum while the sutures are in) Her walk to school can be based on how she is acting. If she acts fine, then let her go on her walk. She just can't go romping and horsing around, but a walk on leash is just fine. If your vacation is 3 weeks later, that is PLEANTY of time for her to go. She can romp around and be a normal puppy by then. The sutures will be out and once those are out everything is as it was before. Let her be a normal dog again by then. Hair coat is more likely due to the anesthesia than the hormone change and it not common to see any hair loss. The only personality change that some people see is that the activity level mellows because the dog is no longer actively looking for a mate so they get a little lazy in that department, but not in the work department. Your pup never even went into puberty so you won't see any change other than the normal maturing that comes with age. The only caution is to make sure you get a cone -"Elizabethen collar"- and use it. The only complications that come from post spays are when the dog chews out all of it's own sutures with in the first 3 days. This can be a mild problem to a major problem. So make sure she wears her cone.

Relax. She is going to come through this with flying colors.

Jenny

Mine seemed to experience more pain than the usual spay and she was completely back to normal after a week.

Actually--I don't know that she experienced more pain but she behaved like she did. She seemed to be most comfortable sitting and didn't want to walk or move around for about three days. After that she behaved like she hadn't had major surgery two days prior.

Good luck to you. It is a somewhat stressful time but rest assured.