BC Boards

Senior Dog Health (general and specific)

Caroline

Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance for any ideas you all have. My older dog, Charlie, will turn 13 this October. He ate Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice for 11 years and did great on it. At one point last year I decided to try a few other premium foods, including Canidae, Wellness mixes and Precise Plus, right now it is mostly Innova senior he is eating. Last week I noticed he has been licking his front legs in the front on both to the point of losing hair, and sores forming. Frankly I think it is behaivoral. However he has been sore in his hips this last few months. He was on EFA powder now salmon oil. Also supplements for joint health. What do you think of going to the vet for a geriatric panel? Should I go back to his Nutro? This is getting long, so I will check back to see what folks think.

Thanks,

Caroline

The younger dog Luke just scratches himself and bites himself since we got him, benadryl has little to no effect, but if he is doing "anything else" he doesn't bite or scratch (anything else including bone chewing, staring at a fly, balls sheep etc.)

No fleas here, Luke eats right now Nature's recipe allergy formula. I also think his is behavioral but who knows?

Before you write either dog off as behavioral, you amy want to have them checked by your vet. I have a dog who tends to obsessive behaviors, so when he started chewing at his forearm my first thought was that it was a new behavior. But I had him checked by the vet for another issue (a weird coughing noise), and we discovered that he likely has allergies. Sure enough, treating for itchiness, etc., associated with an allergic reaction stopped the chewing.

As for changing food for your older dog, you might try going back to the food he did well on. To eally know if the change works though you will have to keep him on the food for 8 weeks and not give him anything additional (that is, you must make sure there is only one variable--the kibble--at work to know for sure that the change does or, especially, does not work).

J.

My old Collie, Kashka, tended toward obsessive licking of her legs and paws. She would focus on one spot--first the hair would go, then it would get red. Eventually a small, crusty lump would appear, and each time, the vet said it was some sort of skin tumor and remove it. Surprisingly, she wouldn't lick that spot after the surgical procedure, but a few months later, the cycle would begin again.

I don't know if the licking was due to early formation of the tumor or if the tumor formed from repeated licking. But I would have your vet check it out on Charlie.

Kashka made it age 14 before we lost her last year, and she especially had this problem the last 4 or 5 years of her life.

Deanna in OR

I'm dealing with the same thing. My bc is 12years old and already on predisone for another health issue. He is licking to the point of making sores on his legs. We have tried different creams, wrapping the leg. Some of the sores heal but the one at his front leg elbow isn't so yesterday the vet increased his predisone to a whole tablet twice a day and a heavy duty antibiotic for 7 days plus a vet appointment on saturday if there isn't any improvement. The vet is calling it granulomas. Hope this information helps.

Lisa