BC Boards

Breeder said my 8 weeks had first shot but no paper

JasmineTX

I just got my 8 weeks old BC puppy last sunday. Since the guy said the pup had her first set of shots at 6 weeks, I asked for the paper from their vet, he said he'd like to keep it to himself. He is sellling puppies of his breeder friend so he might not have it but kind of questioned me.

3 months ago, my co-workers tipped in money and surprised me with a 3 months old lab on my last day at the job -- which actually really upsetted me because I don't believe in buying animals as gift but of course I kept him --they said the breeder also didn't want to give them paper for his first set of shots.

I ended up giving three sets to my lab as if he didn't get the first set from the breeder in case they weren't telling the truth.

Would you suggest doing the same with my BC puppy? If it's not harmful to give an extra set, I'd think it's safer to do that.

Any suggestions?

I've found that most vets start with the first set of shots regardless of whether or not the breeder had the animal innoculated before selling it to you. Just like your doctor, he won't take the word of anyone else on a "patient" that he's going to be responsible for. At any rate, it should be simple enough to contact a local vet's office for some advice.

This seems very similiar to what would happen when we'd get an owner turn-in and they'd have "lost" the vet records. Meaning they were around somewhere but they couldn't be bothered to dig them up. But if we could get the right name of the vet (or get it off their rabies tag), most vets are willing to release the relevant information to your vet. All you want is the proof the shots were given - they do it different ways and some might want some sort of compensation.

When I sent my rescues on the "outgoing" trip, I not only sent their records, I also paid for and included an official health certificate if they were old enough to get one. The universal shorthand on this certificate made it easy for anyone to see what the dog had gotten, where, and how to contact both his last vet and me.

It's possible the breeder/owner did the vaccinating himself and so just doesn't have any official paperwork. The breeder I got my pup from did her first vaccine, and I did the subsequent vaccines myself. The pup still went to the vet for a health checkup and later for heartworm prevention and a rabies vaccine.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if the breeder had vaccinated the pups himself. It's not an uncommon practice. And of course you just have to take the breeder's word for it that the vaccination was done, which is why it's smart to have a good relationship with the breeder or only buy from someone you trust.

J.