BC Boards

Whats the problem

Graham M

Hi

I have a 4 yo blue merle bitch, partially deaf from birth. She was spayed at about 7 months, she is very active and in her continuous play ball game swims in the river each day, this she loves. She seemed to be drinking a lot of water a few weeks ago, but was very active. In the last few days she is slightly thinner, does not drink a lot and is hardly seen urinating during the day but is passing water each night in our outhouse where she is kept from 11.00pm to 8.00am this is not usual for her. She is still very active and alert. Could anyone explain any of this please ?

It could be a number of things really however your best bet is to get her to a vet and have a urine and blood panel done. I would start with a simple urine test to rule out a urinary tract infection or even possible diabetes (though with diabetes you should see increased drinking along with the night urination).

I had a diabetic dog who started with similar symptoms and she lost 10 lbs in one week and could not hold her bladder through the night.

Good luck and please post any updates.

Maria

Hi Maria - again

Thought you might be interested the vet was telling me that the first kennel club border collie was from here - Bellingham, a guy name Telfer the dog was called Meg.

They were bred for nonstop working on the farm and love our adverse weather conditions.

Graham

Hi Rebecca

Funny thing happed, last week I noticed Merlin chewing a stick from the stream and seemed to be eating the pieces, took it off her.

This morning I found a ball of mixed wet items including a small piece of wood, at first it looked like a dead mouse from the cat, then I realised it was regurgitated items, she seems fine now. Is this a common thing to happen ? It must be from a separate stomach !!

Graham

Hi Graham,

Happy to hear it was nothing serious and that everything is back to normal.

Foreign objects in the GI tract can cause upset. I'm constantly taking plastic from my pups. For some odd reason they think it's tastier than bones.

Maria