BC Boards

Contact with other dogs before injections :S

I have a 9 week old pup who is due for his first injection on Wednesday. I know that pups aren't suposed to meet with other dogs or go to areas were other dogs are but how do they catch things?

The reason I am asking is out neighbours have a 1 year old Spaniel and our garden's (where I excercise Ty) are only separated by a fence. Lately Holly (dog next door) and Ty (my pup) have been sniffing at eachother through the fence and I noticed today that there is a gap in the fence where Holly can fit her nose through. My mum says not to worry and that they're only sniffing to get to know each other but I can't help worry that he might catch someting from her before he's injection course is complete and become ill Should we discourage this behaviour and stop him going near to the fences while he's young? Only I'm worried that if we stop contact while he's young, that they won't get on when he gets older and this could cause even more problems

:rolleyes:

Your pup has recieved antibodies from the colostrum from his mother. I do not vaccinate my dogs for anything in an effort to keep them healthy. I would urge you to consider not vaccinating your pup at the early age of 9 weeks old especially if your vet is preparing a combo vaccine!!! Do some research on the harmfull affects of vaccines and then make up your mind.