BC Boards

Tiny scabs-from shedding?

BigD

Ok...this is really strange.

I noticed some tiny scabs on my dog, right behind his head. Only 3 or 4 did I see on Saturday. We've been training for a trial and I thought maybe his micro-prong collar was doing it. So I looked into that. Found no more scabs around his neck at all. I thought maybe he was hitting his head on his crate or something.

I check him that day to see if I found more...nothing.

Then on Sunday afternoon I was petting his back and I felt some little bumps. These little scabs are all up and down his spine. Conctrated behind his head and the top of his should blades and on his hips and on his tail. Only the top part. If you move his hair against the grain the scabs will come off and you will get little bloody marks on your hands. I've been putting 1st aid cream on them and trying to watch for spreading, but I can't tell.

He is not scratching or biting them, when the scabs come off, only a few seem to "hurt."

He just lost his coat for Srping and it's very fine and sleak right now.

We changed shampoos on Friday and added Flax Seed oil to his diet last Wednesday. The shampoo is supposed to be for super, super sensitive skin and we used it all over, not just on top of him. That's all that's changed.

We have not seen any bugs for months. And he gets a daily grooming from me. He will chew and bite if there are ticks or fleas and he is doing neither now.

I am almost positive that something similar happened to him last year about this time. Could this have soemthing to do with the shedding season? I'm lost...I have no idea.

The scabs are black and about 2mm in size. When I find them, they stick out from the skin about .5cm and are pointy. The skin underneath is not raised or puffy. A little red and that's all. They bleed a little when the scabs come off.

Any ideas????

Denise