BC Boards

BC rescue advise.

Hi all, In doing some research I’ve come across this forum and thought It seemed to offer some great advice. 

So my query is that we are looking at adopting a 4 yr old rescue BC. So I’m asking for advice and things to look out for/Ask about. 

What we know is: his owner can’t look after anymore due to illness. as can’t walk him, stimulate, etc so he needs a new home  

He has been apparently loved, so not abused, and hasn’t come off a farm so not used to that environment.

We have a really large yard, super active 13yr old ( who has been wanting a border collie), have had a dalmatian, so used to an active dog, know that he is great with other dogs, he only knows very basic obedience. But our son is super keen on training. 

But I still overthink things, so I’m asking advice and what else we should consider ask about before finalising the adoption. ( which includes meeting our other dog and cat) 

He just sounds perfect. its just we have never had a BC before so I want his new fam (us) to be perfect for him. Guess it’s just we have always trained from puppy’s before. Can a 4 yr old be trained?? Want this new fella to be able to have recall, etc as we regularly go to the lake,  dog park, etc.   they are super smart so hoping it’s a resounding yes. as he is just awesome.