BC Boards

Need suggestions for sheep ID

dot me not

OK, so I don't have a huge flock (7 adults and currently 3 lambs) but they don't all have names and it's hard to keep up with who got dewormed and vaccinated etc. Problem is, they've all had ear tags but they're ripped out with the exception of one ewe that still has hers attached. I have one ewe that has only a half ear where her tag got ripped out and another with a split ear from the same thing. Of course I can go ahead and just replace the ear tags but I know they'll just get ripped out again and the poor buggers don't have any ears to spare here.

Can you use those plastic neck chains/collars like cattle and even horse farms use? My only worry there would be that they'd get hung up and die, but I don't know a whole lot about it. I suppose you could just use a lightweight chain/collar? Or is there any other way to ID these guys?

Lydia

Hi Lydia,

Don't give up on ear tags. If they're good tags and properly installed, very few will be lost. For lambs, I have had the best results with Premier Snap and Swivel tags. Snap tags are the same basic design as Rototags. In adults, I am really liking Premier's new 2X tag, but I only have a few installed.

The key to installing an ear tag properly is to put it so that it can hang down below the ear and swing more or less freely. That way if it gets hung up on something, it can usually just swing free.

Personally, I wouldn't put neck chains on sheep. There are tatoo outfits you can get, but you have to mark them someplace like under the front leg. Not real useful.

Ear notching is another possiblity, but it doesn't sound like you have a lot of ear left to notch!

Hi Lydia,

for temporary marker get some chalk, paint or crayons for sheep. I like the chalk as it marks the sheep for a few days. the spray paint is pretty permanent, the crayons are the hardest as you have to get the right ones for the temperature, and around here it is always cold and rainy or so it seems when we need to do feet, deworm etc.

good luck

Dawn

Dawn points out an important distinction. There's permanent ID, which can be accomplished via ear tags, tattoos, microchips, ear notching, or simply knowing each sheep by sight. Then there's marking, which is accomplished by crayon, chalk, or paint.

I'm going to start sounding like an ad for Premier, but I really like the Super Sprayline paint that they sell. As Dawn says, it's fairly permanent. My sheep have lots of different color dots on their backs as we run up to shearing, because they have all been wormed a few times, deloused, foot trimmed, and each time I use a different color to mark who's been done.

If wool is important to you, make sure you use a marker that is scourable. Livestock marking sticks generally are not unless they specifically say they are.