BC Boards

Dirt Eater !!

cdtuck

Greetings:

I have an 8 year old male border collie who likes to eat a little dirt each day. I am wondering if he has a mineral deficiency or is just bored. He is digging up my lawn in certain places and eating dirt from our potted plants.

Looking for idea.

Regards and thanks

I had a Border Collie who at 9 years of age, was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, who would eat dirt/soil during his illness (the last 3 months or so). I mentioned it to my vet (University of Pennsylvania Veterinary Hospital) and she couldn't offer any explanation on the behavior. I also mentioned the "deficiency" topic. He never ate it before he was sick, nor do any of my other Border Collies eat dirt/soil. Perhaps a complete health check-up including bloodwork is in order? Can't hurt.

For what it's worth -- with every pup I've ever had, there's something in their natural environment that they choose to eat -- sticks, dirt, leaves, moss, etc. With my Border Collie it was dirt. It's just a stage that doesn't last, but usually begins at a younger age than 9 mos., so if you have any concerns, maybe a check-up is a good idea.