BC Boards

Erlichia

Mary & Dogs

Does anyone know how common this desease is in Border Collies? And where it is a real problem?

I've read everything I could find on the internet.

I have not been aware that this tick borne disease was around me (Missouri) but after reading up on it I think it might be important that people know about it. It is in all states now but most common in the Southwest and Gulf States.

------------------

Mary Hartman

Kansas City, MO

We've got a bunch of it here in NC. It's the most common TBD here.

It's nasty because your dog can get it, get over the acute phase, and then it can go "sub-clinical" if you don't realize what he's got in the acute phase and really sock it with the right antibiotic course. Then the organism can work its way into all tissues and cause immune compromise and all sorts of puzzling problems - your dog is just a little "off" but no one can figure out why. This phase can go on for years until stress interupts the immune system's balance and the disease goes into the acute phase again.

This is the voice of experience - I had two dogs go through this torment. I don't mess with ticks anymore.

------------------

Rebecca

Brook Cove Farm, NC