BC Boards

Hunt is limping

Huntley's Mom

Happy New Year, Y'all!

Hunt-Boy is favoring his left front leg, and has been for a while now(3-4 weeks), off and on.

We suspected a bruised pad at first, but think it might be more serious. He is a real trickster, and when having fun with his pals exhibits no lameness at all.

He will launch himself from our porch, about 4 feet up, out about 6 feet, and hit the ground and sometimes the concrete sidewalk running full speed.

I know, STOP THAT! We rested him for a week, and he was better, but not well.

He gets glucosamine every day, a fatty acid supplement, is not overweight, and very active and healthy otherwise. He is now 4 years old.

He is more lame in the AM, after rising, anfd less as the day wears on.

Vet wants to X-Ray tomorrow, which we have agreed to do. Dana, or vet tech suspects a bone spur.

I am anxiuos about tomorrow, as Hunt will be sedated, albeit mildly. I am a worry-wart.

Any suggestions? How about hold my hand?

Best Wishes,

Patti Jo

------------------

quote:

Patti & Wayne McAhren

2264 Fairway Drive

Mobile, AL 36606

USA

(251) 479-1777 (H)

Master Printing Company

(251) 476-6979 (W)

[This message has been edited by Huntley's Mom (edited 01-06-2003).]

How about hold my hand?<<

Here Patty,hold my hand.

Bummer when that happens. But,he'll be just fine. Whatever you do,make sure not to put him on any pain killers where he may think he's just dandy and try to leap/run.

When they hurt,they stay calm on their own.

In 10 days,little Nani will be going under the knife to put a plate on her knee and it's going to be hell around here for about 5 weeks where I have to keep her calm and quite..yep,right.. I could reach out and grab the moon lot easier.

I may ask for you to hold my hand at the time,cause I know I'll sort of fall into pieces myself during the surgey.

------------------

Inci Willard

Clearville,PA

814-784-3414

ikw@pennswoods.net

-------------------

It's better to be silent and thought the fool,than to speak and remove all doubt.

Guest PrairieFire

Well, y'know, these little buggers just get into trouble it seems...

Molly (just under 6 months - a Roy X Flo), came in limping a couple of weeks ago - she'd only been outside for a few minutes, but apparently it was enough for her to break a toe...

It was clean enough the orthopods at the U thought a simple supported bandage would work - and they are apparently right, 'cuz she's already walking fine.

But simply being a Border Collie is sometimes hazardous work - they've got a lot to do, y'know...?

How old's Hunt, now, Patty - 3?

He'll be fine, although do try and stop the launching...as hard at that might be...and let us all know how he's doing, huh?

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com

Patti,

Try not to worry...The advances in vet medicine makes sedation very safe..usually the biggest side effect is gray hair..for us people not the dogs..LOL

As far as what the x-rays show..it could be something as simple as a soft tissure injury that will just need time..and rest..not always easy with an active dog.

As far as broken toes Bill, I had a 15 year old weimaraner..yes 15 that's not a typo..that broke two toes running with the border collies..No wonder I don't understand the term crazy border collies..anyway the vet put her in a soft cast for 6 weeks and she healed fine..

Still A Mystery...

The X-Ray showed....Nothing!

We are suspecting a bruised pad, or sprain or strain.

Hunt is still limping, so rest is in order, if possible!

I have given him 1/2 of a 100mg rimadyl, but hesitate to use it.

He showed no signs of Arthritis or OCD (Osteochondritis Dessicans).

Any ideas?

Inci, best of luck with your pup. I am holding your hand, figuratively. Can you feel me squeeze your fingers?

Bill, since Hunt and Mags are rescues, all the experts around here guestimated their ages at 6-8 months when rescued, so we decided to do like the racehourse folks do, and made them one year old on January 1.

So, that makes 'em both 4 years old this past New Year's Day. BTW, anyone read Seabiscuit? I am engrossed in it right now. The movie will star Toby McGuire as Red Pollard, Jeff Bridges as Charles Howard, and Chris Cooper as Tom Smith. I can't wait to see it!

Is 4 too young for arthritis? My vet says no. I was surprised, but with such an active dog, I guess thay can wear things out pretty fast.

Bill, what about the acupuncture for Craig's elbow? Do you give him supplements as well?

Hunt gets Glucosamine every day, and fatty acids. We feed Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice, cause the fat-protien ratio seems right, and it is a really good product.

Of course we are not perfect, and they get a bite from the table now and then. Not much, though.

All info is welcome!

Yours Truly,

Patti Jo

------------------

quote:

Patti & Wayne McAhren

2264 Fairway Drive

Mobile, AL 36606

USA

(251) 479-1777 (H)

Master Printing Company

(251) 476-6979 (W)

Couple of years ago our dog Max had the same problem. X-rays showed nothing, and Max looked fine running around but would come up limp later on. The vet said it was a soft tissue injury and to put her on 4-6 weeks crate rest with only leash walks. Well, we'd rest Max for a week or two, and she'd look fine. She'd go back to normal activity, and the limp would come back. We finally knuckled down and did the full 6 weeks crate rest, and the limp disappeared.

The crate rest stinks, but seems to be necessary because these dogs appear to "play through the pain."

Good luck,

Tony Luper

Summerfield, NC

Guest PrairieFire

Tony's got a good point.

Sometimes the tendency to reinjure things is great - "feels ok, let's work" - "oww"...

I used to give Craig the glucosamine but he seems to have developed a terrible aversion to it - if he evens sniffs it, he won't have ANYTHING to do with the food, treat, etc...seems like he decided he'd been on it long enough (a couple of years at least)...it's now been a year or more, and he's not popping or cracking any more than he was - he's 8 now, so I expect a little slowness in getting up and, breaking his heart aside, he's not the dog I take to do the hard stuff anymore - that's what the younger ones are for...

Rest the little darling - even if he doesn't want it...Tony's right on, I think...

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com