BC Boards

Skin problem

Owlsridge

We have a beautiful 8 week old pup that has been itching since we got her last Friday. Took her to the vet the next day. She told me it could be an infection brought on by fleas initially - can't rule out mange mites, though (she spent a week or so at a farm where their barn dog had been treated for mange last fall). My vet has me giving the puppy antibiotics and if we see no improvement within 5 days, then she'll do a skin scraping for mange. She also told us the precautions with collies and ivermectin (can bring on seizures?), which is the recommended treatment for mange. I'm just looking for anyone's experiences with border collie skin problems, and any advice anyone might have for me. She's a beautiful pup with a wonderful personality, and it hurts to think she's being tormented by all the itching.

Ask your vet about allergies also. Daphne has allergies to something, so I keep an eye on her skin color, when she starts turning pink and itchy I treat her with Benadryl.

------------------

Cindy & Daphne