BC Boards

Possible bladder infection?

Dana M

I've been lurking on the boards for a few months now, and have learned a lot. Now I have a question for you guys.

I have a six-month old BC. She was spayed on December 12, and is pretty well back to normal, with one exception: although she is fully housetrained, she has had several accidents in the house. Normally, she gives a very clear signal that she needs to go outside, but on the occasions when she has gone in the house, she has not signalled at all.

Here are the details:

A few days after the surgery I noticed some irritation around the incision (probably caused by her E-collar rubbing on it--she was determined to lick the stitches). The vet prescribed a 10-day course of antibiotics, which she finished without incident.

She started having accidents in the house last Thursday (while still on the antibiotics). The first time she both urinated and defecated, subsequent incidents have been urine only. There have been about 5 incidents total.

Reasons I think this might be a bladder infection:

Increased frequency of urination;

Recent use of antibiotics.

Reasons I think this might NOT be a bladder infection:

My parents are visiting and are home with her during the day while I am at work--a significant change in her normal routine. It's important to note, however, that she loves both of them, so I don't think she's unhappy about them being there, especially since she's been getting significantly more outdoor play time.

She has had accidents while I'm at home, as well as when she is just home with my parents.

I plan to start giving her yogurt today in the hopes of restoring some of her "good" bacteria. Any other advice?

Thanks.