BC Boards

Big problem with coming when called

Hi everyone,

We are having problems with come command. Whenever Reck is off lead he runs in a straight line away from me, and then I have to trick him to catch him. He is 8 mos. old. He knows the command, he just won't do it off lead. I've tried hiding from him, playing with him, teasing him, using treats. He doesn't respond. Just keeps going. I'm worried that something will happen to him so I don't let him off lead. I hope this is a stage. We are training for agility, and he has to respond to this command most of all. More importantly, I don't like keeping my dogs on a lead when it is possible for them to be off.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Holly also has a problem coming back when off the lead. we have had her about 3 weeks now and she has only been off the lead twice. the first time she jumped the fence of the area we were in and the second she ran like a mad thing round for about 40 minutes before she got tired and lay down and i was able to get her.

I will try those tecnics and see if they work though.

• 2 weeks later...

We've had Lileigh since she was 11 weeks old...she was obedient in coming when called until she was 7 months old, at which time she realized, "Hey, I don't REALLY have to come when I'm called--I'm not on a leash--I can do as I please...." She knew what I wanted her to do: she would stop and look at me, then run in the opposite direction.

Somewhere along the line I read about using a 50' clothesline will help with the "come" command. It worked--along with a little maturity on Lileigh's part. I would load my pocket with tasty treats, and out to the field we'd go. I would let her go out to the end of the 50' line, squat down to her level and call, "Lileigh, come." She immediately came: she would immediately receive a reward. We would also romp and play with her favorite ball using that rope--for weeks and weeks until I thought she could be "trusted" once again.

She is now 10 months old and wonderfully obedient. She's made the "connection" that life is so much more FUN with Mom than it is going off by yourself. Mom plays ball...Mom plays tug...Mom praises me...Mom and I are great pals.

Hope this will be of some encouragement. I think it really is a "phase" ... just a little independence and a little rebellion that maturity seemed to remedy!