BC Boards

Seven year old with possible sore back

5Bordercollies

I suspect my seven year old Zorro might have sometime hurt his back. Not badly, but it does seem to be bothering him a little. He doesn't want to stand on his hind legs, often looks back at his hind end as if something's bothering him. His tail no longer curls like it used to. He will lift it over his back, but sometimes almost reluctantly. I haven't had him to the vets' yet. Still trying to figure out if it is his back, and if there's something more i can do for him here. He doesn't seem unhappy, just a bit uncomfortable. I've started him on some joint formula, will be having a chat with my vet on Tuesday.

My question though is what type of "safe" exercise can I give him? I don't have a pool, so swimming is out, but would more leisurely walks help? What else, or what type of meds might help?

Meds might depend on the type of injury - there are anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants, and other sorts of meds. I think a check with the vet would help locate the problem and better pinpoint a treatment, hopefully. If you had an ortho vet and a rehab therapist nearby, I'd suggest a visit to the one and then to the other for diagnosis and treatment.

I guess gentle walks might be useful but without knowing what the problem is, that's hard to say.

Very best wishes!

My advice is to just take it really easy with him, don't let him romp or be rowdy, and not do anything until you can get your dog in to the vet. It's all well and good to want to help your dog at home, but you can't make any decisions until you've had him looked at by someone who can diagnose the problem.

Whether he's got something pinched or out, or an actual injury, medicating the symptoms won't put him right again and the wrong exercise could accidentally exacerbate a problem. Talk to your vet and see where to go from there. Without knowing exactly what's wrong, we can't really suggest anything to do for him. You don't want to risk accidentally doing the wrong thing, until you know what you're dealing with.

Wishing you luck! My Nick sustained a back injury a couple years ago so I am super, super skittish about any sort of back troubles in dogs. :)

~ Gloria

Thanks guys. Gloria yeah I guess I wasn't thinking about the possibility of worsening it. I'll talk to my vet and see what he recommends. I have to go to town Tuesday, but I think I'll try and get him his own appointment. I'm having my hair cut Tuesday and it being summer here I can't leave him on the pickup. And I don't know how he will behave if I take him into the salon with me.

I caught him a few times yesterday kind of looking suddenly towards his right hip area, wondering if maybe that's where the ouch is. Maybe try and observe him a little closer this weekend and see if I can narrow down the sore spot. And then see about an appointment early next week at the vets.