BC Boards

Pregnant ewes for training?

Jumpin Boots

How long into term do you use pregnant ewes for training?

My ewes are completely undogged, although fairly level headed. My dog is younger, 18 months and he's my first working dog. We go to lessons once to twice weekly. I have a couple ram lambs we're working, but they are, well idiots and I feel like we might be more productive working the ewes.

Thought? Thanks!

Pregnant ewes can benefit from exercise (fat, unfit sheep are more likely to have lambing problems), so it's really a matter of how much stress you'll be causing with a green dog. I will move pregnant ewes around pretty much until their bags or bellies are big enough to make exercise uncomfortable for them. So you really just need to decide if you ate able to work them calmly and quietly with your young dog.

J.

What Julie said. :) Moving pregnant ewes with a dog isn't a big thing, unless the dog runs or stresses the sheep. You don't want them running madly or panting with their mouths open, and you don't want them upset and overwrought by the dog. The work sessions may need to be fairly short. But if your youngster has a nice feel for his sheep and doesn't upset them, I think it should be okay in moderation.

~ Gloria