BC Boards

Older BC herding puppy!

Having issues with Phoenix my 9 y/o BC boy blocking the doggy door downstairs when the puppy wants to go outside, hence having potty accidents in the basement because he won't let her out).

I know the only way "really" is to walk her out every time, but that defeats the idea of having the doggy door! Grrrrrrrrr!

So other than the obvious I am open to advice or any suggestions if anyone has gone through this . It is our first time with 2 BC's at the same time. Other than that everything is fine. I hate to close the doggy door , especially since the weather is nice and cool now and they spend pretty much all day outside playing or sleeping, only coming in now and then to check on me or get a drink.

Rose knows to go out to do her business, but big Bro is the problem!

post-3985-0-08877300-1383201085_thumb.jpg

Why not do the obvious and take/let her out and in yourself periodically? It sounds to me like you are largely just letting the dogs do their own thing and perhaps a bit more interaction on your part might pay off with big dividends in the future. It sounds like Phoenix is running the show with Rose and perhaps you need to be assertive and show that you are the one who sets the rules and limits, and guides her in her growth, not Phoenix.

PS - It's not "herding" (although the mannerisms are similar) but it's bullying and rude manners on Phoenix' part.

Hey Sue...thanks. You are right on target for Phoenix trying to "run the show". Like I mentioned this is my first time with 2 BC's in our home at once, and I am learning a LOT, to be sure. I am fiding out that I need to (for lack of a better word..deal with) them individually, which is just what has to be I guess.

I am thinking the doggy door is another part of the overall problem, since it is their choice when to go out, not mine. Phoenix has always had that choice and we have never had an issue with any of the other pups (who are not BC's), concerning Phoenix. It seems that these two BC's have some sort of personal competition going on!

Live and learn I guess !

PS... Glad we had the chance to meet at the finals :)

I remember that Phoenix has always had very strong opinions and I can picture him "taking charge" of the youngster!

I hope you get it figured out to your satisfaction. They are too smart sometimes.

Sorry if I don't remember speaking to you at Finals - between the mud and my old mind, and meeting so many new and not-so-new people, I can hardly remember many of the folks I'd rather not forget!

we stayed in the same motel. I had my puppy Rose with me and I was working the Hospitality Booth with Michelle Dobbs. we mostly talked at the motel

That is entirely very possible.....sorry Sue. My husband calls it old age brain !! LOL!