BC Boards

Pulling on the Leash

Originally posted by Lucy:

My 9 month old BC is a pleasure to walk with whilst she is off the leash but l have to walk down a couple of busy roads to get to the river/fields she play in.

Whilst walking with her she continuously pulls on her leash to the point where her feet slip while she is walking. She only started this at about 5 months old. I try to stop her doing this by stopping and giving her a tug on her lead whilst telling her 'Wait'. As soon as we set off again she starts pulling again. I have persevered with this technique but to no avail. Has anyone any suggestions because my arm can't take no more.

Originally posted by Lucy:

My 9 month old BC is a pleasure to walk with whilst she is off the leash but l have to walk down a couple of busy roads to get to the river/fields she play in.

Whilst walking with her she continuously pulls on her leash to the point where her feet slip while she is walking. She only started this at about 5 months old. I try to stop her doing this by stopping and giving her a tug on her lead whilst telling her 'Wait'. As soon as we set off again she starts pulling again. I have persevered with this technique but to no avail. Has anyone any suggestions because my arm can't take no more.

I have been threw this the old drag the owner. OK get you a sheaperds staff or long fishing pole will work great. put you dog on a lease about 10-12 foot long. as you walk tap the stick on the ground on the left then the right back and fourth. give a command as ( come behind) any time the dog tryes to go past you keep tapping the stick and if you tap his nose when he tryes to pass this is ok, (Dont hit the dog hard by no means) just keep tapping the stick back and forth. the dog will relise he will have to stay behind you. after the dog gets this he will relize the heal command he will learn it quickley...Good luck.